Netflix: Live to 100 Secrets of the blue zone

I’ve been watching an interesting documentary on the attributes of people across the globe who experience longevity.

There’s hot spots known as ‘blue zones’ where people are living longer.

Have you watched the documentary? Share your thoughts

1 Like

Ive not watched it , but i think there was something on tv years ago .
My mum was 93 when she died this year ,and ive counted 3 over the last century in her family history that were over 90 . I think its due to genes passed down .

1 Like

Can’t see me living past 80. After two heart attacks and a habit of pushing too hard in training I’m my own worst enemy…
:running_man:
:biking_man:
:pie:

should we say goodbye now then?/

A few weeks left yet bret…
Father time

how about a special commemoration service then for runnings well done? - and a special spike milligan mems like " I told you I was my worst own enemy" - call me dick head for short??

I think Spike actually said…“I told you I was ill”…
And as for the runnings…At least I got off my arse and actually did something…
:running_man:

Been seeing it on Netflix. I put it on my watch list. Thanks for the recommendation.

1 Like

I also think it is much down to genes. That and processed food. It is likely that there is a genetic link between peoples who live in close proximity. I don’t know how much genetic testing they have completed in this research.

I just googled the presenter’s age as I thought he didn’t look so young. He is 63.

1 Like

Just a slip of a kid Annie…
:nerd_face:

1 Like

It’s clear that too much exercise doesn’t keep you young. He once cycled across the globe with his brother.

Interesting points from this series so far:

going into a care home reduces your life by at least 2-6 years. Best to have a close knit family who will support you when you get sick.

Regular spiritual worship (more than once a week) increases your life by 7 years (it’s about the community rather than a specific religion).

A majority plant based food is a healthy habit that will stave off diabetes and other chronic health conditions.

Avoid fat friends and those with bad habits. They are a bad influence.

The interesting episode is Ikaria, because they have no cases of dementia. It’s a Greek Island that used to be completely isolated (until 1980 they were self-sufficient). So they were very resilient. Apparently the lower rate of dementia may be due to regular drinking of a wide range of teas from local herbs & sugar replaced by raw local honey. Surprisingly too - local wine. I would love to pack my bags and move there tomorrow!

2 Likes

my mothers family has the longevity - fathers NO. Dad died in his 60’s from coronary disease - he was also a smoker and sugar fiend! - Ma died in her 80’s -90’s not sure couldn’t make it!! - she smoked less than dad and not so much sugar. I’m in my 80’s now and could see me hitting 90?? ta ma!!

2 Likes

I think doing anything to excess doesn’t do any good Annie, trick is, to find out what actually is excess…
If you enjoy doing something and it gives you a certain ‘buzz’ it’s hard not wanting that feeling as often as possible. In your 30’s 40’s and 50’s you don’t consider longevity, death and illness is something that happens to other people. In your 60’s you realise that you are on a downward spiral, and at 70 things start breaking down…That’s my take on it anyway. I don’t regret anything that I have done and am prepared to suffer the consequences now. Although I’m happy and content and life is going as expected…
There may be snow on the roof…But there’s still a fire in the grate…
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Perhaps you start thinking about your mortality when your closest friends or partners start to die. Although you don’t die, part of your identity disappears forever with their memories of you. Having lost several people in the past year it’s really hit home with me.

2 Likes

Quite true Annie, was a time when it was weddings and christenings I went to, now it’s funerals and memorials…
:frowning_face:
And as one relative, friend and neighbour passes on, we all shuffle closer to the top of the list…
Every Sunday I pray to the lord ‘Can I pull a wild card and stay here a bit longer’
Well! I am wild…and a bit of a card…
:sunglasses:

just keep on truckin OGF, whatever your doing is working…
i do everything wrong, i used to drink 8-10 pints a night
i used to be a heavy smoker
but now do neither
if you are driving a Jag then get your foot down
but if your now owner of a tracktor…lol
i too am in my eighties, i play an occasional game of golf, its a while since ive been fishing, but intend to start again in Goa next month.
ive done so many things wrong, and will no doubt continue to make mistakes, but ive been to so many Mr Perfects funerals. i reccon i must be doing summit right.
so Mr Fox answer only to the guy who shaves you…and long may your lum reek…

1 Like