NetFlix Documentary Series - "Pepsi, Where's My Jet?"

For weeks, there’s been little on NetFlix that’s grabbed my attention. Seeking diversion, and without checking any reviews, I selected “Pepsi, Where’s My Jet?”, expecting to de-select within 10 minutes … :069:

I was disappointed - I found it a compelling and entertaining series (and one without the usual gruesome murders) … :+1:

The documentary (allegedly) tells the true story behind ‘Leonard v. Pepsico, Inc.’ (which I’d never heard of but which, apparently, is now a a law study case in the USA):

Leonard v. Pepsico, Inc. - Wikipedia.

Leonard v. Pepsico, Inc., 88 F. Supp. 2d 116, (S.D.N.Y. 1999), aff’d 210 F.3d 88 (2d Cir. 2000), more widely known as the Pepsi Points case, is an American contract law case regarding offer and acceptance. The case was tried in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York in 1999; its judgement was written by Kimba Wood.

In 1996, PepsiCo began a promotional loyalty program, where customers could earn Pepsi Points; these points could, in turn, be traded for physical items. A television commercial for the loyalty program displayed the commercial’s protagonist flying an AV-8 Harrier II Harrier jet to school, valued at $37.4 million at the time, which could be redeemed for 7,000,000 Pepsi Points. The plaintiff, John Leonard, discovered a loophole in the promotion, allowing him to purchase Pepsi Points at 10¢ per point. Although the offer was facetious, Leonard promptly delivered a check for $700,008.50 to PepsiCo, attempting to purchase the jet. PepsiCo initially refuted Leonard’s offer, citing the humorous nature of the offer in the advertisement. Leonard then sued PepsiCo, Inc. in an effort to enforce the offer and acceptance perceived by Leonard to be made in the advertisement. In her judgement, Wood sided with PepsiCo, noting the frivolous and improbable nature of landing a fighter jet in a school zone that was portrayed by the protagonist. PepsiCo would re-release the advertisement, valuing the jet at 700,000,000 Pepsi Points.

This review sums it up for me:

The story of Pepsi, Where’s My Jet? is relatively straightforward: Two guys take advantage of some sloppy legal due diligence by a massive corporation, face legal challenges from an army (no pun intended) of high-priced of attorneys, and fight until the bitter end. Did Leonard and Hoffman win and ultimately take possession of the jet? Well, you can Google that or just watch the four episodes and find out. Normally, we tend to go the spoiler route, but the docuseries was so enjoyable we figured we’ll wait it out.

The filmmakers do a good job of putting this story into perspective. It’s goofy and silly, but it’s definitely illustrative of what could happen if even companies as big as PepsiCo and their advertising firm don’t close as many loopholes as possible. It’s arrogance, a stance that no one would possibly try to trade points for a fighter jet. But you knew that someone was going to try to take advantage of Pepsi’s mistakes. And, for Leonard and Hoffman’s part, they were taking advantage of the offer in a very legal and straightforward way.

Don’t expect CGI action, sex or violence and you might be surprisingly entertained … :sunglasses:

Flashback 1996: Man sues Pepsi to win Harrier Jet

Is it worth to watch?

1 Like

IMO, Yes … John Leonard and Todd Hoffman are particularly likeable, the Pepsi executives aren’t, so if you’d prefer to side with mountain-climbers rather than “Mad Men” then this series is for you … :023:

Would it spoil it to answer why they were doing this? Seems to be a lot of time and money for not much gain.

1 Like

As John explains in the movie, he was part of the 90’s Pepsi “generation”:

At age 20, anything seemed possible, even bumping into Cindy Crawford … :dark_sunglasses:

The year was 1996, and the cola wars were raging. Pepsi needed something huge to compete with Coke so they rolled out their biggest campaign ever: “Pepsi Stuff” It featured a soon-to-be infamous commercial that claimed for 7,000,000 Pepsi points you could win a Harrier Jet (one of the most advanced military jets of the time). Pepsi execs assumed the astronomical “price” of the military plane was set high enough to indicate it was a joke, but ambitious & cunning college student John Leonard saw it as a challenge. Enlisting the help (and funding) of mountaineering buddy Todd Hoffman, the 21-year old hashed out a plan to score the grandest prize of all. What ensues is an outrageous goose chase for the infamous Harrier Jet and a legal battle with Pepsi that changed advertising forever.

1 Like