Neom is it just another Dubai?

I saw an advert for this on Sky. Not sure whether it’s of any interest to members but piqued my interest. Neom a city state that is something out of one of the sci fi programmes I just love but as a reality well scary.

A city within this state will be Oxagon an eight sided comprehensive cognitive city. The whole thing is net zero and will rely on hydrogen fuel. Did I mention that Oxagon will be a partly floating city? Totally reliant on the internet of things (excuse me while I throw up as I have a bit of an allergy to that term!).

Interesting that a country seemingly so mired in the past is going for a project so focused on the future…

1 Like

What is Saudia Arabia’s new city actually going to look like?

First, it’s not just one city. Neom is actually being planned as a 10,000 square-mile city-state, tech hub and 16-borough metropolis, and will contain two separate cities: Oxagon, and The Line.

According to planners, Oxagon is the proposed industrial district, port and the world’s largest floating structure, while The Line is a 105-mile linear city that will preserve 95 per cent of the nature in the area and is planned to have 1 million residents.

More detailed proposals for each city are still emerging, but wider plans for Neom reportedly include no cars, artificial light sources, futuristic entertainment and a high density of eateries.

The region’s stark landscape might also be transformed by cloud-seeding machines creating artificial rain, the world’s largest coral garden and glow-in-the-dark sand.

Here’s the ad:

As “glossy” as it gets … :astonished:

The crux (from Wiki):

Neom (styled NEOM ; Arabic: نيوم‎ Neom, Hejazi pronunciation: [nɪˈjo̞ːm]) is a planned city in the Tabuk Province of northwestern Saudi Arabia. It is planned to incorporate smart city technologies and to function as a tourist destination.

Next, “off-world” … the Moon … then Mars … :rocket:

1 Like