My windows 10 apps have disappeared

I had no problems in that area JB :slight_smile: I was given a laptop that I could use downstairs where it was warmer .

Ah, therein lies the answer. I use my laptop downstairs too. (Unavoidable, really, as we live in a bungalow.)

So, if any of you are having such problems, use your computer downstairs where it is warmer! :lol:

(Sorry, Meg. Just my innate predisposition to sarcasm.)

They’re coming to get you, JBR!

:mrgreen:

Hi JBR!

Microsoft, like any manufacturer, has the right to market any legal product which it produces

Like any other product, it’s buyer beware 
i.e. if you don’t like it don’t buy it!

However, those of a “Conspiracy Theory” mind may want to consider that there are now 67 Million copies of W10 successfully installed around the world.

If it was a real dog, then you’d expect some very real public outcry
which I can’t see at the moment.

Maybe the real issue lies in the area of the different computing skill levels of the buyers.

A big company would have a few test machines and would try out all s/w levels and updates/upgrades before giving them out to all of their staff.
That would tend to exclude them from any real pain.

However, MS, and other marketing companies, do not grasp what can happen if the buyers have few, or no, computing skills. They will get lots of negative feedback via the web and perhaps over the phone, as they feed the updates out to the world.

I don’t see any conspiracy, only MS trying to find ways of getting their fixes out there (without intervention?).

Those who Realist calls Saps are not saps at all. They are just customers, like everyone else, and MS needs to address this ASAP.

I recently purchased this computer,but I bought a 2 terrabite passport to keep this one clean and fast.I like windows 10 It’s easier for me.This new one has 10 and office and some other stuff I haven’t explored yet,I like it.:slight_smile:

Well they’re taking their time about it.

You make a good point, and this is substantiated by the fact (as far as I’m aware) that a higher percentage of the computer literate use Linux compared to the ordinary user such as myself.

Yes, overall I agree that Windows 10 is good, although not quite up to W7 because of the increasing control of our computers.

I’d put them in descending order as:
W7
W10
XP
W8 (although I haven’t used it; just going by my wife’s experiences)
Vista

(I can’t remember much about the older ones such as W98 and W95.)

67 million, Worldwide does not sound a lot to me.

Morning, Purwell.

Bearing in mind that nearly all of those have been installed within 1 year

Don’t know how many are still out there on everything from XP through to 8.1 (can’t be bothered to look!)

As of 1/4/16, Windows 10 was in active use by over 270 million devices since it officially launched in late July 2015.

The right to market is not the same as a right to enforce a different product onto existing customers without their consent. Imagine if your water supply company simply decided arbitrarily to put something else down your water pipes instead of the water you get now? Maybe something they call “super water” that was loaded with chemicals and medications that they claimed was a better product for you. Most people would be very angry.

What MS did with the W10 “roll-out” was appalling and underhand. It DID cause a huge outcry, it resulted in many people getting their machines totally wiped, possibly losing data and most certainly causing extensive work and rebuilds to have to be done. The untold cost of that probably runs into £millions.

Unfortunately that was NOT how MS pushed or marketed W10. It wasn’t out their as a product to simply buy if you wanted it. It was literally forced onto millions of PCs via a nefarious collection of software programmes which exploited (and thereby totally abused) the Windows Update facility and undermined it.

There HAS been a ton of public outcry. Not about whether W10 is good or not, but about how MS forced it down the line to people’s PCs. You have to ask, if they needed to do that to get people to take up W10, then really how good can it really be for the end user? Very clearly MS felt that people wouldn’t simply buy it off the shelves and upgrade their PCs in large numbers.

Nope you miss the whole point here. Large software companies and ordinary companies with large IT infrastructure were livid about what MS did. It is ESSENTIAL for large IT departments to be able to control what software is on every machine in the business, the operating system, the applications, the anti-virus and so on. When MS arbitrarily sent down the W10 “virus” (a virus is really the appropriate term here) they compromised a lot of machines. Companies and IT departments were not ready yet to go to W10. There are a ton of things that have to be sorted before you roll a new OS to 1000s of your staff PCs. How will data be backed up? Will all the existing applications still work under W10? Have those applications all gone through sufficient testing? etc etc.

The entire W10 roll-out was a nonsense from start to finish and again you just have to question why they had to do things that way. It really doesn’t paint a great picture of W10 imo.

Then you are not looking hard enough I’m afraid. There are reasons why MS took the bully-boy actions they did. There are reasons why they didn’t simply put W10 on the shelves of PC World for you to buy at their leisure. Those reasons, you can be absolutely assured, are not ones to better the end-user situation. They are for making money and establishing a MS platform that they can utterly control. A platform which for now might seem unassuming but which will soon enough turn into a selling platform, a platform which like smart phones will see you paying for apps and utilities and all manner of other things. In the end it WILL cost you more money and you WILL have less control.

No again I disagree. They ARE saps. Customers are people who voluntarily go and choose and pay for a product. People didn’t do that for W10, they had little choice. W10 was forced upon them. That happened, indeed it could ONLY HAPPEN if a certain contingent of the user base were saps. Saps that blindly and willingly accepted any and all Windows Updates down the line and onto their PCs. They put their blind faith into a huge conglomerate believing all those updates would be good and beneficial, whilst not knowing at all what those updates were, what they did, whether they needed them or not. The same kind of saps go to doctors/GPs and hospitals and blindly accept any and all potions, pills and treatments without knowing what they do.
All of them very much ARE saps imo.

If you’re daft enough to put blind faith is such institutions in this day and age, then yes, you’re a total sap.

All in my personal opinion and speculation, nothing more.

Garbage.

Unworthy of further comment from me.

It is what it is.

What I have described is how MS “rolled out” W10. It is indisputable. Fact is, if they had just placed boxes on the shelves of PC World and the like, the take-up would have been very sparse and sporadic.

I’m confident that if I were to walk down the high street and ask people if they had upgraded to W10 and if so, why did they do it, pretty much 99% wouldn’t be able to cite one single benefit of the new O/S as a reason for updating. I’m sure that 99% would say “it just happened, I didn’t have much choice, it came down the line and kept nagging at me until I accepted it”.

That’s no way to “market” a piece of software.

People were taken advantage of plain and simple and that was made possible because they were, for the most part, blindly accepting Windows Updates. More fool them.

I’m sure you’re right.

I, too, cannot see any specific reason of any importance why Windows 10 should have been purchased to ‘upgrade’ an existing computer although, like the latest mobile phones, there will always be those who ‘must have’ the latest model as soon as it comes out!

I think that Microsoft probably made some wishy washy statements on their web site as to why we should have Windows 10, but nothing that would persuade me.

In my opinion, the real reason why they encouraged everyone to ‘upgrade’ (or foisted it upon us without giving any choice) was to increase their control of the OS and hence our computers.

Of course, the other thing that Microsoft did do was to persuade computer manufacturers to include W10 as the pre-installed OS on their new computers. Perhaps they charged them a competitive rate!

Like I’ve said before JBR, it is early days right now, it is a period where MS want as much take up as possible for W10. So the real reasons for the entire nefarious roll out won’t yet be evident to people. Note though that all the huge corporations work together, e.g. MS, Google, YouTube, Amazon etc etc (imo) so when the hammer falls I predict we will see all manner of shenanigans from them all. For example, expect Google to do something equally nefarious like say that Gmail will only work for W10 etc.

Software always evolves and there’s no reason not to go with it. Would you also resist the many updates that are released for the various Linux Distros, or those released for the Mac platform? If the answer is ‘yes’ to that, you deserve to be stuck with Windows 3.11 forever. That worked alright after all, so why progress?

It only seems to be Microsoft operating systems where people need dragging along and I think that’s why Microsoft have done it. Other platforms have people falling over themselves waiting to get their hands the next release or update. The benefit to those platforms probably won’t be all that noticeable to most users either. Yet, slowly but surely, all platforms have evolved and improved. Updating/upgrading over the years is how that happens, not by software companies standing still.

You say Windows 10 will become a selling machine where we will have to buy extra goods. That’s not quite true I’d say. Extra goods and service may be offered but I don’t think we will be forced by law to hit the ‘Buy’ button. It also has to be remembered that Windows 10 will always be an operating system to run programs on 
and a rather good one too in my opinion.

Microsoft will always be villains in the eyes of some but not mine. I don’t seem to have the aversion to large and successful companies that some people have. Hey-ho such is life. Use what you want and I’m not going to care. It’s just that you do preach such a load of waffle sometimes Realist and it’s a job not to comment on it.

Anyway, better get ready for the next life-controlling update. There’s a new major one called the ‘Creators Update’. This is due to be released on April the 11th. The article linked to below says why it has this name and what’s new in the upgrade/update:

Of course there has been progress since 3.11 but that wasn’t what I was saying. What I’d like to know relates to W7 and W10. As I’ve said before, I found W7 the best Windows so far and I’d be interested to hear exactly what improvements have been made on W7 by W10. Granted, W8 needed improving, but what exactly can W10 do that W7 couldn’t?

Looking through that, I can honestly say that there is nothing in that ‘update’ which could possibly interest me.
I shall, therefore, leave my Windows Update disabled

unless, of course, Microsoft overrule my setting!

JB I don’t want it either but having read up on it apparently the update is mandatory.

If, like I have done, you disable Windows Update they can mandate 'til the cows come home!