My vintage freebie plates

I posted this photo on a food group I belong to. It’s Viking toast, the latest viral food craze

But that’s not what sparked the interest, it was the plate

I’ve got two of them, they were mum’s and we get them out at Christmas, because of the red and green pattern

Lots of other people said they had them too!

We Googled and they’re Arcopol white glass, made in France and they were given away free at petrol stations in the 70s!

So any of you got them or remember them?

Or have you got any other vintage freebies given away with petrol, soap powder etc?

1 Like

Yes, I have one; it probably came from my parents house when I cleared it, but I didn’t know that’s how they got it

I’ve just checked and it does have a logo on the back with the word ‘Arcopol’
I like it, I use it more or less every day, and it’s still in good condition

I also have some cutlery that came with BP petrol I think, and I use that every day too.

We had some wine glasses & champagne flutes that came with petrol, I seem to remember that those were very popular & widespread at the time.
I can’t remember the brand, but they were broken or passed on ages ago

1 Like

I’ve not seen the plates before are they like pyrex?

1 Like

WHAT in the cotton hell is VIKING TOAST?!!!

1 Like

I like them too, a nice cheerful pattern and clean looking. They’ve certainly lasted, haven’t they?

Not bad for a freebie :+1::grinning:

1 Like

RIPPLE - Yes, a sort of slightly translucent white glass

1 Like

Cheese on toast!

I bought some arcopol plates a few years ago in a charity shop and I use them every day. I love them as they have a nautical theme. I think they date from the 70s.

Someone tell me how to upload a photo and I will.

1 Like

It’s like Pyrex but not the brand. It’s heat resistant white glass

1 Like

It’s a recipe from the Pinch of Nom recipe book that went viral on TikTok etc just after Christmas.

They do a recipe for Viking Pork with chops topped with the same mixture. I don’t know why they call it Viking!

A bit like Welsh Rarebit, it’s cheese, fried onions, egg, Worcester sauce, mustard powder, all melted on toast.

It was OK but I wouldn’t make it again

https://amp.delicious.com.au/eat-out/latest-news/article/we-made-viral-viking-toast-recipe-pinch-nom/qg6b5mz7

Yes, I am still using plates that Coles gave away when you purchased over $10 worth of groceries. The $10 value should indicate that it was a very long time ago

1 Like

When I was growing up, all our drinking glasses were recycled jelly (jam) jars. As an added bonus, they had the Flintstones printed on them. Not completely free but sorta.

2 Likes

Yes I had a couple of these, got them free from the petrol station.
They were bowls with the red and green pattern.
I think they ended up as pet bowls.

1 Like

I do have this, it was given to me at some point in the past by a member of my family. Wether or not it was a freebie I have no idea, perhaps it might have been. I should actually get around to using it, with the appropriate butter of course :wink: