My Ripper Theory

There has been much speculation on the identity of that notorious murderer of the late 19th century, Jack the Ripper. His ability to go about his homicidal activities in such a blatant fashion without detection has given him, in the eyes of many, the status of evil genius. Well, genius he may have been, for it cannot be denied that he always seemed to be one step ahead of the police, but he was not the only genius of his era, nor the greatest genius. During the period when Jack was going about his diabolical business, there was also a man with an even sharper mind going about his.

Sherlock Holmes was the greatest detective the World has known. Nothing escaped the attention of Holmes; not the slightest or most seemingly insignificant piece of evidence was overlooked. Once Holmes was on the case, there could be only one outcome, and a solution was only a matter of time. How strange then that Jack the Ripper and Sherlock Holmes never crossed paths. Is it possible that Holmes was disinterested in the biggest criminal mystery of the age? No, it is inconceivable that Holmes would be able to resist the challenge of solving a case of the century. And yet he did resist, unless, of course, he already knew the identity of this most elusive killer already.

What I am about to suggest next seems unthinkable, yet, after all other possibilities are eliminated, it is all there is left to think. Sherlock Holmes and Jack the Ripper were one and the same person. That is the only logical conclusion that can be arrived at. I know that there will be those who ridicule my theory, on the grounds that Holmes was only a fictitious character, but I say it only strengthens the case for it. Who would ever suspect a fictitious character of murder, let alone be able to catch him? What brilliance; what genius; who, other than the great Sherlock Holmes, could pull off such a master stroke?

2 Likes

It’s funny you should mention Jack the Ripper … last night I watched a youtube documentary about it. The latest theory on his identity.

A Polish immigrant of the name Aaron Kosminski … based on the evidence of DNA analysis of blood and semen found on a shawl alleged to have belonged to Catherine Eddowes.

I didn’t quite buy it myself as all it proved was that he might have been one of her clients.

No, it wasn’t him. I’ve just told you, Morti; it was Sherlock what done it. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ll make it harder … did he have an accomplice? And what was his name?

Which of these blokes did you have in mind? There are so many.

Not Basil!!!

1 Like

I had a soft spot for Basil … I thought he made the best Sherlock.

1 Like

@Danny …there’s a few on that list I never knew played Sherlock.
Certainly not Peter O’Toole.

1 Like

I’m afraid that secret was buried with Arthur Conan Doyle. :102:

Never a doubt and perfectly paired with Nigel Bruce. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Don’t make it more complicated than it needs to be, Danny. :018:

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Gyles Brandreth has written a book about Sherlock Holmes, Oscar Wilde and the Ripper case.

Yes, he got the idea from me, I once mentioned it to him. Oscar Wilde must be his own idea. :lying_face:

2 Likes

He has written a series of books about Oscar Wilde and Arthur Conan Doyle solving crimes together, the one about Jack the Ripper is the only one I haven’t read, but your post reminded me about it and I have just ordered a copy. Thank you Mr H.

Don’t mention it, it was no trouble at all. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It was Sir Percy Blakeney.

@Maver-rik … I’ve never come across the author but after a peek on Amazon I’m tempted.

1 Like

Was he fictitious or real?

@Morticia He was an MP at one time I think. I love Oscar Wilde, and it is obvious from these book that Gyles Brandreth does too. I have bought all my copies second hand usually from Abe Books.

1 Like

I believe he is an expert on Teddy bears. :bear:

2 Likes

@Maver-rik … thanks for letting us know about him. I love a good read, a historical detective type read and also like the idea of Oscar Wilde.

1 Like