My Poor Camellia Bushes

Battered by wind, rain, snow & hail over the last few days.

They were originally a dark pink, but over the years have changed to mostly white, though a few are still coloured with all pink,striped or part pink part white. Quite weird really that they’ve changed.

3 Likes

Last year.

1 Like

Camellias are very popular here.People have hedges of them.
We do get wind and rain but no snow.

1 Like

They look like a healthy plant and will come good again in the summer

1 Like

Thanks both of you.
This is the original colour of both bushes blooms, taken in 2004, since then they have gradually changed colour & to white.

1 Like

These only bloom in the Spring, waimiha.

Our camelias bloom any time even in winter

1 Like

When I bought this house there were several Camellias but they all had to go to make way for a garage, a car port and the house extension.

Years later I had two tea plants (Camellia Sinensis) that eventually succumbed to the millennium drought, I was very disappointed. Camellias are a pretty hardy plant but they didn’t like drought.

1 Like

Still beautiful with the white. I think the roses on my rose bush changed color some too.

1 Like

My rose bush did that too, but I think it was meant to.

2 Likes

That’s quite similar to the color of my rose bush too. There was a pink/white one next to a pink/yellow one. Those didn’t cross too much, but they faded out some.

Somehow, a branch from the red one in the back showed up growing next to them. The red one seems as vibrant.

1 Like

Have you got photo’s, butterscotch?
Cant remember it’s name, but it’s a climber. The blooms change colour as they flower & can be yellow, pink or a peachy colour to start with.

1 Like

Sorry, no photos, and it’s not blooming at this time of year.

Mine’s not a climber. It’s definitely a bush. It’s also less yellow than that one.

Oh, I’m not sure it changes color as it flowers. I meant that it changed color as it got older. The plant is over 20 years old. It may have gotten more faded over time. Still beautiful though. Maybe it’s gotten faded because I don’t feed it enough. I just let it grow and don’t do much tending to it.

1 Like

I don’t do much to mine either, don’t think I’ve ever fed it. I do trim it sometimes though. :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve given up growing Camellias. They are nice but it so often happens that they bloom then, shortly after, along comes a frost and all the flowers get ruined.

1 Like

They’re not fond of direct sunlight either

1 Like

My bushes just stay there & mostly look after themselves. It’s been particularly wet & windy here this Spring, see first pic, but usually they do OK.

Just taken this photo

decided to cut down the one next to the greenhouse to top of fence height as it hasn’t done well this year. It as as tall as the one with flowers all over it

Tank goodness I bought that small hnd chain saw to get into the middle and cut down the large branches

1 Like

My Camelia flowers always turns brown & drop off. I’ve done everything imaginable for it. Had in in all positions in the garden - re-potted it - fed it but still they turn brown & die in a day!!

The leaves are beautiful, shiny & healthy. I keep it for the leaves…

1 Like

That sounds like they are getting morning sunshine which they hate. Or it is a fungus and you need to get rid of all the flowers I forget what it is called.