My new Yaris Cross Hybrid

Have had it for two days now.

4 Likes

It looks a lovely car, Dachs…is it nice to drive? (I am not a driver, so cannot be any more technical than that! :smiley: )

1 Like

have been looking at it for a time, not sure it is big enough, thought i might have to go up to a Rav 4, but just recently been getting e mails saying there is a Corolla Cross on the way, am due for a new car next year, but that looks like a good contender

1 Like

Dachs, this might be my next car, I’ve been considering this for a while now, it might not be for a couple of years yet, you’ve even gone for my colour, what spec did you go for, I think I’d have to go for excel at the very least, does yours have the power tailgate?, my Puma has it now, but it can be a bit embarrassing trying to open it by waving your foot underneath, like some kind of comical version of riverdance…keep us posted on how your getting on with it….

1 Like

@Dachs What’s she like with grunt for pulling out swiftly at roundabouts? If and when I do go for a hybrid/all-electric, I will need something that is very quick with the get-away as my area has many roundabouts where initial off the spot acceleration is essential.

2 Likes

Oh WOW!!..what a lovely car, Dachs, what does this running in a brand new car mean?

Can you only drive at a certain speed?
Have had it for two days now.

[/quote]

1 Like

lovely looking car :slight_smile:

1 Like

My daughter had a loan of one of those cars from the garage while hers was being sorted. She loved it to bits, and didn’t want to hand it back.

2 Likes

Pauline
Running in a car meaning. When a car engine is fresh from the factory each component such as valves and pistons have to work in with the cylinders they are put in. ok you might say they should work ok and they do, but they are a tight fit, to marry up perfectly the engine needs to let them bed in together to produce the best . So to do this it used to be ,and still is, best not to drive a car hard for say the first hundred miles or what the manufactures recommend.
think of it as putting on new knickers, tight fit at first, when worn a few times they feel more comfortable and you don’t notice your wearing them

2 Likes

It’s not as critical to run an engine in nowadays, manufacturing tolerances are a lot more precise

2 Likes

I’m not saying this car is for everybody. :innocent: What someone expects to find in a car is as unique as a fingerprint. So it is right for me in my current phase of life only, i.e., not earlier and very likely not later either. I’ve read the thread about Hybrid Cars here on this forum and know that a hybrid is not everybody’s cup of tea. Different needs, different cars.

@longdriver You’ll need a Tesla Model S with 1,000 HP for this definitely has enough power for pulling out at roundabouts. On my way home from the dealer after I’d picked it up I also had to pass through two roundabouts but the speed limit was 18.6 mph. :grinning: I’d say I didn’t hamper anyone. I don’t think it would be the right car for you.

For me times have changed, though. Gone are the days when it was all about horsepower and stuff. My last car, a Toyota Verso, consumed about eight litres petrol per 100km on average and even more on the motorway at my usual cruising speed of 99 mph. This one consumes about half of it. That’s what matters to me considering our rising fuel prices. It was the main reason for buying it. Everything else is less important. Still, a new car is a new car and the feeling of driving it is just fantastic. @pauline3 (Where have you been?) No creaking plastic, no rattling parts, etc. I’ve never been one of those who like old bangers. I don’t even feel comfy in ageing cars. They are just not pleasing to the eye after a while, neither outside nor inside.

Yes, it’s very nice to drive @PixieKnuckles It’s quiet because the combustion engine only runs when needed. Within the city there are quite long phases when it runs in electric only mode. And that’s where I drive most of the time. The car has not been designed for driving, say, 600 km at full speed as some people still do over here. It comes with a lot of advanced driver assistance systems like Pre-Collision System with enhanced steering assist, Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Trace Assist plus Advanced Parking Assist which I won’t use. The Blind Spot Monitor is quite handy, though. There’s also a system helping you when you back out of a parking space, rear-mounted sensors identify vehicles approaching from the left or right, or stationary objects. Warnings are given and the brakes applied to avoid a collision. I particularly like the head-up display which shows information on the windscreen like jet pilots have. :wink:

No, @pauline3 there are no limits. As @primus1 said, no running-in needed any more like in the old days. Even back in the 90s I bought a new Mazda 323 and took it on a 600 km drive on the motorway going the recommended 130 km/h (80 mph). No problem at all.

2 Likes

Left hand drive Dachs??

Sure. To be preferred on the continent. :sunglasses:

Send it back. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Automatic Dachs ?

Yes, at last. Had been waiting for a car that has both an Automatic and is a hybrid. Not that many cars available with that specification. I’d never driven an Automatic when I was forced to drive the car out of the showroom. Had only watched some videos. The room was packed with other cars and I was lucky not to touch one of them. :blush: :cold_sweat:

2 Likes

How do you like it, my new car which is due in March is an Auto, I hope its already out to drive.

I’m enjoying it. Together with lane trace assist and adaptive cruise control there’s hardly anything left for the driver to do. It breaks automatically, drives automatically…
You can’t stall the engine, the car doesn’t roll back, you don’t need to release the electric parking brake anymore and don’t need to apply it when parking. All so new and I hope I won’t get confused when driving my other car which has a manual transmission and no assistance systems. :wink:

What’s your new one?

1 Like

(Opel ) Vauxhall Crossland .Elite.

1 Like

Did you wait long for yours, I see in the UK your’s has a 28 week wait.

The waiting time is normally 4-6 months, far too long for me which is why I went for a demo car for which the waiting time was four weeks.

1 Like