My new Crossland Elite

Nice car Caricature…I agree once you have owned an automatic you would never go back to a manual drive…whats not to like you just point the car in the direction you want to go in till you get there :slight_smile:

Well, I’ve gone and done it now. I’ve arranged to test an automatic car next Wednesday - an MG ZS. They’ve got good reviews from all quarters, and if I decide to buy one, more than likely it will be my last ever car…

1 Like

Let us know how you get on .
Motorway driving was a breeze, got 48 to the gallon , 70 mph at 2100 revs , nice and relaxing.

I’m pleased with it, like I’ve said we went up to the daughters in Lichfield, its got stop start on it , simple to use on this car, I put it in Neutral , handbrake on, soon as lights change or the queue starts to move foot on break engage drive, car starts and away we go . Reversing camera take a bit of getting used to, I’ve driven for over 40 yrs without the help, but I must say I’m getting to like it. lane assist on motorways is fine, overall I like it.

1 Like

That’s interesting. I read in my instructions not to use Neutral but to stay on Drive at traffic lights with the foot on the break. Alternatively, to use automatic hold which is automatically released when driving off again. The same applies to the handbreak which is automatically applied and released. The vehicle is always secured from rolling back.
I had a reversing camera in my previous car. Now I have one or more front cameras as well which I find useful when parking the car head-on and close to the wall in the garage. It makes the car automatically break at the last moment to prevent collision, something I haven’t told my wife yet. :grimacing:
I’m curious how long your battery works if you don’t drive too often.

I wondered what you thought of the car Judd and driving an automatic ?

Don’t think he’s been yet, Summer. I asked him the same, and he said it’s not until this Wewdnesday. :slightly_smiling_face:

Choice I guess, what’s the point of neutral if not to be used, looking around on youtube, some driving instructors say to put the car in park at the lights, also theres something in the highway code about stationary cars and brake lights.

Law RVLR reg 27

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.

Probably. I read that there are differences between automatics, especially between older versions and newer ones. Neutral is to be used when the car is being towed. Using Neutral too long is not good for the gearbox. In the cases described I’d also put the car in park.

Not until tomorrow, Julie, then I’ll give my verdict. :slight_smile:

Help! I’m slowly being seduced and led towards the dark side.

Had my test drive in the MG 1.1 turbo automatic, and I have to say that I’m impressed. Good level of trim and gadgets (it’s a man thing), nice clear all-round visibility with door pillars not too obtrusive (not like on my Kia Sportage which makes looking left or right at junctions difficult). The car drove very smoothly, with the auto gear changes not noticeable at all. It was difficult not to go through the motions of reaching for the gearstick and pressing the clutch at road junctions and traffic lights mind, no handbrake to speak of either - an extra step on the brake pedal halts the car and prevents it rolling backwards, just needing to press the accelerator to set off going again.

All in all, an enjoyable, smooth, and comfortable ride. Just need to save up some more pennies. The new 1.1 autos are much in demand and so won’t be available until July of this year, giving me a bit of thinking time…

2 Likes

Sounds like you have already decided, Judsy.
Best make a start on excavating your wallet, as that could take a good while. :grinning:

Was thinking of passing the hat round in here first, or opening a crowdfunding page. :smiley:

On reflection, I’m not happy with the garage I did the test drive with. Their website advertised (and still does) the car at an on the road price of £xxxxx including 1st year road fund licence and registration fee. On the quote they’ve given me, they’re wanting to charge £610 for both of those in addition to the showroom price. Another thing, they were trying to add car carpets with the MG logo embroidered in and some protective coating or other on the bodywork to the price - both superfluous IMO. I’m just wondering if the extra £610 is to cover the loss of revenue for the carpets and the (expensive) coating? I shall challenge them on this in due course.
In the meantime, I shall check other garages for deals.

The more you drive the auto the more you’ll like it,

Well worth shopping around for similar cars, let them know you’re not happy with what they offer.

1 Like

Rat bags.
I dont like the sound of 'em, Judd.
If they try it on at this early stage, then I wouldnt trust 'em with the rest of the deal.
My Fiat garage tried similar when I bought mine, and I learned from that.
If it dont feel right - dont hand over your hard earned dosh to them. You will find another if its meant to be.

Just an update have had it almost three months now, just over 2,000 miles, been on the motorway a few times, relaxing to drive, all in all I’m pleased with it, 50mpg could be better one supposes but could be worse .Never will go back to a manual transmission now.

2 Likes

It looks stylish.

1 Like

Thanks, I like it, the automatic headlights that dip when a car is approaching is something else, how does it know, super sensitive sensors somewhere, I should add that I’ve only been out in the dark to use them once and that was way back in March.

Yes, sensors I’d assume. I got used to them as well e.g. when the lights go on automatically in a car park or my deep-level garage.