My first E-Bike ride

I notice e-bikes being advertised on the tele-shopping programmes sometimes. There was one I saw that looked good. More or less like an ordinary bike. The battery was integrated into the frame so that it didn’t show, like it is on my e-bike. It was about £800, which is a lot less than I paid for mine. Prices vary a lot but I think if I didn’t already have an e-bike, I’d have been tempted by that one.

Then again, maybe best to buy local in case of faults. Mine had one that took a few goes to put right. Inconvenient enough to keep taking it back but at least the shop is only a few miles away. It would have been a right pain if I’d bought via the Internet.

Moving to a bungalow? Not going upstairs to bed feels a bit strange at first but you soon get used to it. Maybe a step in the right direction. :slight_smile:

Got an E bike on Ebay watch, finishes in a couple of hours, could be tempted, I prefer I think, the ones with external battery’s, is the integrated battery removable/serviceable?

This is my old hack, when I have finished my cuppa, I will go and do a couple of miles, I’ll let you know how it goes.

https://i.ibb.co/v3MbJsZ/13918253-156-C-466-E-90-F4-EF020503-E391.jpg

There are so many Ebikes being advertised now. I don’t think I have room foe yet another bike. (Still got 5). There are also conversion kits that some are more expensive than a ready to go Ebike.
To convert my Brompton which I would not do, is almost £1000. I do like the conversion that replaces the front wheel with the motor built into the wheel.
I have been looking at these electric scooters. My neighbour has one and I had a go. The speed and range on them is impressive.

That sounds a lovely outing Mart :slight_smile: I bet you feel better for it.

Yes, that’s the case with my bike. I think replacement ‘in frame’ batteries might be something to ask about if buying one like that. The battery on my bike is completely removable and locks back into place. It needs a Yale type key to remove it.

I’ve had the bike for two years now. The battery is charged up fairly frequently and still holds a charge OK.

That’s a sturdy bike you have there. I read the trend for mountain bikes is for the solid front forks again. I think I know why too. If going down a steep hill off-road, the suspension can compress and send the rider over the handlebars. I’ve felt the danger of that happening once or twice.

These can’t be used anywhere yet can they?

It was Meg. It took about 10 minutes for me to feel better after doing it. :slight_smile:

There are so many of the Escooters about now that I think it would be difficult to apply the law to them. The ones that are rented it would seem have the right to be ridden whatever the law is.

Apparently not, unless they comply with the existing legislation or are rentals.

Out here in the ‘rural sticks’ they can be seen in common use, people use them to get around in the lanes and roads between villages. A little disconcerting when rounding a bend in a narrow country lane to find one of these in front of you though. Quick reactions and good brakes are a necessity!

Most of the information about using these can be found on the links below:

Talking about those Electric Scooters, I was taking the dog a walk a couple of weeks ago, in the next street I saw a geezer wheeling a scooter out of his garage. On a corner a few metres further down the road I started to cross the road and just noticed the geezer out the corner of my eye, approaching me silently at around 15MPH, I stopped just off the gutter as he whooshed past, I then proceeded and then came another Whoosh, it was his bloody missus an another scooter, sorry she shouted.:lol::lol:

Did 5 miles on the bike this morning, very enjoyable it was, I had forgotten just how good the thumb and index finger gear change is.

Got this body camera a while back, might rig it to the bike and put a couple of videos on.:slight_smile:

https://i.ibb.co/PhvKKcg/1-EBD5-DFE-9-B38-4-A6-F-8107-A3-AB21-E70-ADC.jpg

Never got on with suspension bikes, they are ok on the rough stuff, but, on a road or similar, the bouncing seemed to take some of the inertia of the pedal action making it harder work.

I’m not sure what rules could be brought out for scooters if they become legal to use everywhere. Perhaps something the same as is being spoken about for electric cars. A generated noise that at least lets the majority of people know they are around.

I feel vulnerable enough on a bike sometimes, so I’m not sure I’d feel safe on a scooter. They are lower down and probably not as visible as someone on a bike.

The bike I used for all the off-road riding was a Claud Butler with front fork suspension. It was also used on the road (still is) but the suspension is fairly firm and hasn’t caused a problem.

I did about 5 miles on the e-bike today. I rode over to see my brother who I hadn’t seen since the lockdown began. Nice to sit in his garden and have a chat at a few metres apart.

The e-bike is great if the purpose of going out is just to get to somewhere and back again easily. If the purpose is exercise, then the ordinary bike is the one to use.

Did 10.5 miles on the ordinary bike this morning, some on-road and some off-road. I still feel surprisingly comfortable with doing that. No huge hills in the route though. I’m going to do the same tomorrow. The weather forecast is for rain after that.

I have just done the same ride again. I think I can have two bread rolls for lunch instead of just one. :slight_smile:

I took my Brompton out this morning. I had a call to make, did that and then rode around the area for a while. Only done 3.4 miles and was shattered. I think I am getting to old for this

Rain is forecast for tomorrow, so we’ll have a good excuse for not going out cycling. :slight_smile:

Only a measly 5 miles yesterday on the fairly flat road that leads to the doctors and back. Done that a few times now but I cycled back on a side road some of the way this time. A couple of slopes in it but it avoids riding on the main road.

Cycling is starting to get easier again after spending so much time doing none at all because of lockdown.

Too warm for any cycling today, got to save some energy for work this afternoon. I will go out on the bike this weekend but, although we live in a good cycling area, the same routes get boring so, I will throw the bike in the workhorse car, drive somewhere then have a ride somewhere I have only travelled through in the past but, never explored in detail.

I might go to Kenilworth, last time I stopped in Kenilworth was 1995, when my son was six, we walked around the Castle Grounds, the only reason I remember the year was, I remember what car we were in. Travelled through there a few times since but never stopped.

I can’t cycle for a while (got to shield) but I hope to be riding again in a week or so. A pity since the muscles and puff for it were starting to come back.