My first E-Bike ride

Oooh nice bike, Spitty! Yeah, don’t break it up :smiley:

Nice looking bike, Spitty :smiley:

What a brilliant project Spitty, and how rewarding to maintain the original paint job. I’ll be watching this thread with keen interest…:023:

That’s great, Spitfire! I admire renovation projects like that one; the results are so satisfying! What are the chances you would a donor so similar?

You’ve got me thinking about work on my “girl” a ten-speed light blue cruiser that handles professionally but looks like an old-fashioned cruiser, that is starting to show her age.

Bought this today, didn’t need it but it is an anomaly. It is a 1984 model and has never been ridden, after I paid the guy had at least half a dozen offers for twice the price,

https://i.ibb.co/9qq08cK/F0310-DFE-05-B5-43-D5-B973-3-BAF514-F2-F6-F.jpg

Good deal Spitty, chainguard, mudguards, centre pull brakes and racing saddle. Is the frame made from 501 alloy? I bet it is…:023:

Browsing through photos and I came across this one. I’m not sure of the date but it must have been ten or more years ago. My brother dared me to ride across the stream. Never one to shy away from a bike challenge, I did it. It turned out not to be very deep (fortunately). A small photo but it was originally resized for somewhere that didn’t allow images any larger.

Nice one Mart, you bike looks very similar to mine…

The bike was a steel-framed Marin. I’d also got the Claud Butler as well by then, so I lent the Marin to our eldest grandson. It was stolen while he was inside a shop.

E bikes have really improved over the years especially battery life and how far and fast you can go on a charge.

Sorry to hear about the nicked Marin mart…:frowning:
I think mine was a raleigh, it was leaning against the window of a second hand shop. The bloke had done it up as a work bike but I noticed the the lugs welded to the frame for a derailer and centre pull brakes.

I stripped off the paint to expose chrome forks, re sprayed it, fitted drop handlebars and a derailer, and replaced the cushy seat with a racing one. We have done lots of miles together over the years including a coast to coast.

Yes, there is something going on, it comes at a price, best stay Lawsome.

I still have 2 Curry electric bike kits laying around. They had both been used in the past. But so heavy as they took sealed lead acid batteries.

I know of a way to increase the speed of my e-bike but I’d never do it for a number of reasons.

15.94 MPH (25 KPH) is the legal limit for e-bikes here.
I’d worry about driving the motor to possibly beyond its limits.
It would no doubt void the third-party insurance I have for riding bikes.

A constant 15.5 MPH is a pretty good speed for a pedal bike, although it’s possible to get used to that and want to go faster. The bike computer kicks in and limits the speed once the upper limit is reached.

A double whammy for getting the bike nicked was that I’d just spent a load of money on it. New cogs on the rear wheel, a new chain, brake and gear cables replaced.

I have a collection of bikes here for when the family stays. The trouble is that it looks unlikely that we’ll all be riding together again. Even when travel restrictions ease, I have to admit that I probably won’t have the same degree of fitness I had when we all could go out together. Going on 77 years old now. The e-bike would give me a boost but it isn’t all that suitable for the off-road riding we did.

I’m now asking myself if I should get rid of a couple of bikes. Two of them are good mountain bikes. A Claud Butler and a Trek. I’m not sure I can bring myself to part with them.

You are not alone Mart. I am 83 and when I recently went on one of my old bikes, I just did not feel comfortable. I only have 3 now. Sold the GT to my next door neighbours son. So I have the Brompton, Muddy fox ATB, and the 20” shopper that I was using to just go up the road rather than taking the car. It is very scruffy but well maintained. It’s looks as if nobody would want steal it.

You’re doing well to still be riding Emjay. My brother was OK up until about 81. Slower than before that age but still riding. I kept telling him he should get an e-bike. I think he wishes he had got one now. I said I wouldn’t get one until I was 75 but got it a year earlier than that as it turned out.

I haven’t quite given up the idea of riding the Claud Butler again.

My e-bike is quite a smart-looking one and I rarely ride it to places where I have to leave it alone. I’m sure it would be too much of a target for thieves. Mostly used for riding to and from the allotment.

You seem to be doing well mart keeping an allotment going and still riding. I would imagine that the allotment is far harder work than the bike…:surprised:
I’m the same as you, I can’t bring myself to part with my bike after all these years, but with roads being as busy as they are, and me being a bit wobbly at times, it’s unlikely that I will ride again. I’ll keep up the running for as long as I can though, it’s not as far to fall…:cool:

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Just been doing a few jobs. I was looking at my old 20” shopper. An impulse grabbed me and I took it out and just rode it up and down the road a few times. It felt good, only the knee (port one) moaned a bit.