My driving licence renewal

I gave the DVLA this morning to ask about how long before I get my new licence . As there is a “medical” condition it had to go first to DVLA renewals and sent back to fill out the medical form. So I rang them to see what the holdup is and they said they were waiting for Specsavers to allocate an approved sight test for me. Specsavers are the only company the DVLA will accept tests from. So now have to wait for SpecSavers to get their finger out and supply me with a number so I get the approved eye test free. If my licence runs out apparently I can still drive without a licence under section 88 of the road traffic act. I have discovered is allowed on the provision that a renewal licence is lodged with the DVLA and waiting for them to issue,.
I can imagine a copper asking me for my driving for my driving license and me saying I don’t have one at the moment. The police not the brightest of sparks will arrest me and take the car away.

Why just specsavers , it should be every opticians . How frustrating, I hope someone does their job properly and gets it sorted for you soon .

Just try not to reverse into a canal in the meantime.

Susan
Specsavers are the only ones recognised by the DVLA. I asked why they didn’t accept a hospial eye test or from my private optician and the answer is the machines used for tests at Specsavers are checked and passed an DVLA inspection . So according to the DVLA on this basis even hospital are useless .
It looks very much as huge backhanders are at play between the DVLA and SpecSavers,I can not understand why even large companies like vision express can’t do the same job,that would shorten the waiting time by half.

2 Likes

Weird. Am sure that every registered optician will have any machinery tested and calibrated on a regular basis as a matter of course. My daughter had to get her eyes tested recently (last Tuesday to be exact) under instruction by the GP. Specsavers were the only company locally who would carry it out under NHS free payment. They spotted something, and we were sent to the eye hospital as an urgent case. The hospital’s machines were bigger and better than Specsavers, obviously.

So it seems that maybe Specsavers does have some kind of deal/contract going with the govt, which may well thus ectrbd to DVLA.

It get worse than that under section 88 I can still drive while waiting for the DVLA providing I get DR.s aproval in writing as I understand it. Just imagine going into the DR.s and saying “I want your approval to drive while waiting for the DVLA application to be approved”. I know what he would say "go get an eye test first! "

1 Like

Just got the letter from the DVLA to go book eye test at last. Earliest appointment is for 15 December at one of only 4 Specsavers they nominated. No wonder taking so long when the DVLA won’t allow other national or private companies to test. My own optician and hospital have already done the same checks and said I am ok to drive. In the meantime the DVLA have given me another letter allowing me to drive without a licence in the meantime

@realspeed your cold should be gone by then , how are you and Sue ? better I hope

I renewed my driving licence online this week. On the instructions it said if you required spectacles for driving you had to get your eyes tested every two years. No mention of Specsavers.

Scot Do you have glaucoma? There is your answer .medical reasons. DVLA licence renewal every 3 years if over 70. I have a “stent” behind one eye and have drops for the other eye

Getting there thank you still not gone away completely

Sorry realspeed I should have looked further back in the thread.