My Dahlias

Single tubers normally go into my smaller pots about 8” tall the larger tubers which I ordered from Holland recommended that they be planted 8” deep, I have never planted Tubers that deep before, but hey ho! I bunged them into 14” pots…they did take a long time to show. I think next season I will plant shallower.
I put pebbles and grit in the bottom of the pots To aid stability and drainage, but all my dahlia pots are against a trellis on the garage wall and tie the taller dahlias to that.
Hope that helps :lol:

Thanks very much Vlad.

I don’t know what’s happened to my favourite - April Heather - because it’s sort of ‘bolted.’ It has shot up to around 7ft high and I have trouble trying to pull the stems down within reach to dead head.
I have no idea why it’s done this, it didn’t do it last year.
It’s in a tub about 14/15" across and the same deep.

It’s supposed to be around 1.25 m. normally.
Have you ever had one bolt like that?

I really love this Dahlia.
(This isn’t my photo btw).

I like that one…bolting. It has never happened to me yet, did you feed it?

Yes, but not regularly.
Do you pinch the growing tips out of yours to encourage them to spread out more? I am wondering if I should have done that, because it’s just shot up . . . and up.

I can’t make it out, I’ve never had it happen before.
Maybe I will write to the growers I buy from, they might know.
I will let you know if I find out the answer. :slight_smile:

Yes I do pinch out the first tips…it will be interesting to find out why it decide to take off though

Vlad, just had quite a long conversation with a lovely lady at Halls of Heddon, where I buy my Dahlias.
She said she had someone else say exactly the same.

She reckons it was more than likely because I didn’t nip the growing point out of the main stem earlier on, and I suspect she is right, I must have missed that one.

She said it won’t affect the tuber, so it should be fine again next year as long a remember to do next time.
My fault - it’s me age! :smiley:

:lol: been there Mups…:lol:

No hope, is there. :smiley:

Hey Vlad, look at this one, I’m gonna have to have it next year.
I need to stop looking, I like to many and I haven’t got the space.

Oh Gawd, and this one . . .

And lastly . .

Make me stop looking!
:lol: :lol:

Wow! Those colours are really vivid…thanks for posting

Beautiful colours Mups, I would want them all! :smiley:

That’s the trouble isn’t it Mags, I’m the same.
I must stop keep looking, that’s the only way. :smiley:

Beautiful Mups

Edted

Thanks Bratti.
I love the colours, they cheer me up. :slight_smile:

What a fantastic display Mups
They are wonderful !
You certainly have green fingers

I need your advice but can’t find your agapanthus thread so sorry about putting it here .

I have some agapanthus they are three or four years old and they have done well this year .
My question is are the pots too small now and if and when is the time to repot?

Hi Muddy, yes I think I would give your Agapanthus some fresh soil now. You could either put them into pots just a couple of inches bigger (they like to be snug), or life them out, divide them and get more plants that way.
I do this in the spring, around Mar-April time depending on the weather.
Don’t forget to give them a liquid feed throughout the summer too.

Have a look here at this Agapanthus advice, it should show you how to do it better than me explaining.

https://somethingforthegarden.co.uk/agapanthus-grow-propagate/

Many thanks Mups :slight_smile:

A few more flowers taken this morning.

2 Likes

So beautiful Mups, looks like you are surrounded by colour! :clap:

Looking good Mups