My allotment

Has been to wet and cold for the last month to do any work.

But it’s Feb

Parsnips to be planted.

Onions… to wet at moment

Next week first earlies but at least a foot down

3 weeks time maybe Main crop.

A month’s time carrots… beetroot.

Am looking forward to a new year of hard work and eating the food I have grown.

Not looking forward to the two bully ignorant morons on the site.

What type of soil do you have,its clay down here and theres no chance to walk on the soil let alone work it.

Already got my Hollow crown parsnip seeds ready to go in,a great Victorian favourite.

An old tip I learned from an old timer,about sowing carrot seeds,sow some beetroot seeds,and if they grow, then the soil is warm enough to germinate the carrot seeds!

Got my Sturon onion sets ready for planting, and trying some “Snowball” onions this year.

As always,my Kalsae onions are doing well in the greenhouse, as per the old fashioned way,started on Boxing day. :slight_smile:

It’s an old filled in gravel pit does drain very well but dries out badly in the summer.

Dig down two foot and you get a bit of clay.

We got two of those on our site too!!!

Did an hour to day(Im not fit) nackered afterwards

Dug one trench for my first earlies and raked over my deep dug side ready for beets and carrots end of next month

Bought Javlins and King Edward yesterday and am chitting them in the Kitchen am a bit late this year as I would be being down south be planting my first earlies in the next week.

Did some digging to day ground still a bit wet.

Dug a trench or three for my First earlies will probably plant the end next week.

I don’t have an allotment but a lot of my veg comes from one. We have a couple of horses and give several allotment holders free bags of well rotted manure.

I very often come home to a bag of fresh veg on my doorstep.

Planted my Main crop yesterday but 2 foot down should be all right if no late frosts in May will bank up end of March when shoots show

Planted some Onion sets, the ones I planted in Oct were a disaster lost 3/4 of them.

The Garlic and Elephant are doing well hope for a very sunny summer for them.

I just love reading all your various posts, quite warms my heart.
Old fashioned gardening at it"s very best, I salute you.
X
:-):-):-):slight_smile:

Nothing done this week still too cold and wet to work the ground

The cold Keeps the weeds down.

Off on holiday Sunday so will have to sow my late cauls planted last year in the cold frame early than I would like with the state of the conditions.

This year have not started anything such as Tomatoes and brassicas in the cold frame only sprouts.

Will not be planting Parsnips Peppers and Leeks this year as have enough in the freezer.

Just back off Holiday so today went to see if my potatoes had started sprouting.

My shed had been blown over by the gales and to make matters worse had a notice pinned by the council accusing me of Fly tipping.:mrgreen:

The hard work starts next Month.

Last couple of days warm with sunshine.

Planted 4 rows of Beetroot and 3 rows of peas.

Tomorrow weather permitting will sow 2 rows of carrots and finish of the weeding.

Onions are a disaster but Garlic doing fine.

All potatoes 6 rows are now planted.

Potatoes showing luckly the mild frost has not effected them banked them up today

Beets just starting to show.

Will put my second row of carrots in this week.

Put back my sowing of sweet corn till at least the third week in May

Strawberries some flowers on and small fruits forming.

Every thing seems late this year, even the weeds.:lol:

First bit of warm weather and ground drying out fast.

Sowed Second row of carrots and had to water will start to plant my lettuce out end of week.

Had forgotten about cucumbers this year rush out tomorrow and get some seeds not too late to start indoors.

Peas started showing not covered and have been pecked to death by the birds.

Went down to day and sore a nice lady who had brought some Tomato plants and sweet corn and planted them.

Sweet corn might survive but one cold snap will kill the Toms.

Had to start watering as ground is drying out fast.

Planted sweet corn seeds to day.

Galty, I visited my allotment friend this afternoon and she showed me her cuttings and seedling out in the garden. She has several pop up greenhouses and cloches, and she said the tomato plants wouldn’t be able to go out for another month in case of a cold snap. So yes you’re right.

I’ve only put in potatoes, in the ground and greenhouse (bag) but am not sure when I’ll have a chance to water.

When I come home from Bournemouth I’ll have a look at my seed packets and see if I have time to plant anything!! Covered my raised bed for now, while I was decorating, but now most is done I’m almost free again.

We dont have an allotment but a box with Lettuce , Radish and Spring onions in , they get covered up at night with a cloche

Think the hard work is almost over will just be weeding and watering plus planting out the plants that are prone to cold nights end of June . Autume will be when the hard work starts again with the deep digging to get the ground ready for next year.

Plus the Joy of gathering you own Veg through the winter.

Nice bit of light rain and constant for the last two days this will bring on the seedlings… and the weeds.

Potatoes are showing hope on heavy frosts for the next two weeks.

Tomatoes in doors are showing 4 leaves but need another month to plant out.

Planted Ice berg to day and sowed more seeds indoors.

As mentioned before my onions are a disaster but other plots on my allotment are doing fine…any advice on this would be welcome.

Aspargas not to good did muck about with them last year trans planting them

Rubarb are showing threw at last and looking good after trans planting them last year but well behind other plots.