MS Office: Why has my filename changed from comma to ^J

I’m using MS Office 365 and, recently, I noticed that new filenames with a “,” in were being changed to “^J”. I thought that, perhaps, I had used internally formatted text as part or all of the title but investigation revealed that there has been a change in the software:

When saving files to your personal OneDrive, certain characters are automatically renamed by Office apps, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.

alternate text

To:
alternate text

• Filenames that contain , are changed to ^J
  • Filenames that contain # are changed to ^N
  • Filenames that contain & are changed to ^0

When this change took place is not indicated but I have multiple “legacy” files with names containing “, # &” … :astonished:

IIRC, Windows used to warn of incorrect filename components - maybe it’s just MS Office/OneDrive … :017:

I know you are using English but I don’t understand any of that,sorry :slight_smile:

1 Like

Isn’t one drive the cloud?

Yes … but I use the Always-Keep-On-Disc/Syncing mechanism rather than the Files-On-Demand/Syncing mechanism.

I don’t use the cloud. Do the files even belong to you once you stick them up there? Seems from what you say that they can be reformatted. I’ve always seen it as a risk.

It’s a risk that most people take nowadays.

yes of course, technology is creating solutions to problems that don’t exist.

I need instantaneous offline and remote backup for hundreds of MP3 files, from my collection of 30,000 amassed over 30 years, that are manually/automatically updated during a normal day.

OneDrive provides that facility - firstly, offline then remotely, to my other PC. Doing it manually would take strict discipline and hours of work - I know because that’s how I used to do it.

Problem solved.