Motorcycle memories

Out for a ride one summer’s eve round the farmlands of my ancestors in South Gloucestershire with my two mates, all on our 250s, we came to a slight dip in the road. Only about 20m long, and only a shallow dip less than half a wheel diameter as we ascended a very shallow rise of a few metres over maybe half a kilo on the side of a low hill.
We hit a patch of cold air in that dip. It only lasted a second, but it was a very pronounced drop in temp; a most unusual but natural phenomenon. We all three called out in turn as we all felt it.

We came to the conclusion that we had crossed what had once been the site of an ancient dried-up stream-bed, and cool evening air had been rolling down the low hill in a hollow and across the road as we went through it.

Yeah, the first time driving a combi was hectic Barry weren’t it ??
I bought a Royal Enfield 700 Constellation wiv a matching Jet 80 sports sidecar, of looked
beautiful of a mate for about 80 quid, and l wondered why he stayed to watch me get going when
I went to pick it up??
Not for long though !! It was ok accelerating, but when l had to stop at the first intersection it
nearly three me off with the biggest tank slapper you’ve ever seen !!
I made it home though and later found out not to hold the bars so tightly and to put abit of steering
damper on ?? I also found out that me" mate"had only tried to ride it once !!!(bastard!)
However, after a bit of perceverance l could drift it round left handers and lift the back wheel
round right handers!!:grin::grin:
Donkeyman! :+1::+1::+1:
PS. Nice thread you’ve created here Barry! Thanks!

1 Like

Hey Donks, don’t we all need mates like that… :joy:

You sound like three knights in armour riding their chargers across the downs Fruitcake ??Yeah, l
have also come across that cold air phenomena too !!
Sometimes it makes her Google’s steam up too!! Most disconcerting at 100mph !!:grin::grin:
Donkeyman! :+1::+1:

:+1::+1::+1:

Donkeyman! !

1 Like

Nice tidy looking bikes Bratti !!
I wish l had some photo’s of all me bikes now ??
Or better still, had kept some of em ??

Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

1 Like

Yes indeed, nice looking machines Bratti, I never really got into the Japanese bike thing, although I did transgress a couple of times late in my biking career with BMW R80 rt, and then a Kawasaki GT 500. More for the electric start as much as anything really, but I always preferred the noise and smell of a British bike. Just too much of a traditionalist I guess… :blush:

1 Like

I agree with the comments about Bratti’s bikes. They look smart and tidy, not like the oily stuff I used to ride.
Like Barry though, I just preferred to ride old British Iron.

1 Like

Still got the RC42, when the last Electric Motorbike is done, might get round to finishing the recommissioning.

When you say done Spitty, what do you mean??

Oooer! That bloody spell checker thingy spelt goggles wrong. ??

Donkeyman!! :-1::-1:

It was a very good friend @Psmith. A trusted friend I had known for years. I just wasn’t ready to part with it. My husband sure was.

Thanks @Donkeyman. I’m not sure why I didn’t take many photos of my bike but I didn’t nor did I have many photos taken of me on it. In fact, there isn’t one. In hindsight, I wish I had more pictures. Both my motorcycles were well cared for.

Thanks Barry & Fruitcake. I really like British bikes also. When we lived in England both my parents drove British bikes.

I preferred leaning over the bike because it was more aero dynamic. Wind could flow over the head and body much easier and I could go faster but the main reason was because it took all the pressure off my tailbone which was broken when younger.
The types of bikes that most people find most comfortable which is sitting straight up or leaning back some, I found incredibly painful.

I did change the handle bars to drop bars later, changed the exhaust pipe and the carburetor (? )
to customize it to my liking.

I also preferred preferred the full face helmets and always wore my leathers and gloves. I was a serious biker.

1 Like

My new exhausts fitted, tank and panels painted in original Candy Red.

EXHORSTS??!?
Fort youd gorn lectric Spitty ??

Whilst moving forward DM, its good to keep one foot in the past.

I never ever wore an elmet on the road Bratti, just a woolly at knitted by Donkeylady !!
Daft weren’t it??
But l we to wear one when we went practising at Brands Atch !! Which we shared between two uvvers :grin:
Donkeyman! :+1::hugs::+1:

1 Like

Ah yes,l see what you mean!
Keep one foot in the door so to speak ??

Donkeyman! :+1::+1:

What? You never wore a helmet? @Donkeyman
I sometimes see photos , videos or movies with motorcyclists not wearing any helmets and I find it hard to believe it’s not mandatory internationally. I mean, wiping out at 80 miles an hour hurts just as much no matter where you live. What’s even more surprising is how many people are ok with it. I wasn’t ever one of them.
Yes it’s daft. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::sweat_smile:lol

I find it easier expressing myself with more emoji variety. Love :two_hearts: it.

Bet you rode a Harley Danny ! :grin:
Wiv side boards and all eh?
Tell the truth now, l won’t larf, ( much!) :grin::grin:
But they are not highly regarded over here as you probably know ??

Donkeyman! :+1::hugs::+1: