More than 40,000 have walked away from the NHS in the past year

Ah…But they aren’t Dex are they…Hence the shortage.
Perhaps Arts and crafts or Design and Journalism are easier.
I hear politics is good to get into.

1 Like

@Dextrous63 , “and study for a medical degree”
To do what, work for a private practise ??
I’ve got a feeling that the government is quite happy with whats going on ?
:-1::worried::worried::-1:

2 Likes

Of course the government will prefer a medic making a totally private income, paid for by patients with sufficient funds and/or health insurance, thus putting money into the pot via taxation rather than taking a salary from the public purse.

1 Like

@Dextrous63 ,. Yebbut. It defeats the object /reasons for having the NHS
in the first place dunnit ?
Perhaps. the NHS Should charge the privateers for using NHS equipement
and use the proceeds to fund the indigents health care ??
Whadya fink? :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

I would imagine that they are charged.

@Dextrous63 , Maybe, but how much ?
The devil is in the detall !! :thinking::thinking:

1 Like

@Donkeyman , one would hope that the hospital managers would ensure that they make a profit. But who knows, eh?

1 Like

Once again you show your totally misguided resentment not to say ignorance of todays young people .
You just can’t become a nurse these days you have to have some educational qualifications .

@Muddy ,. So do Barista’s !! Ope l spelt that right?
I don’t want to spread confusion !! :+1::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::+1:

There’s surely something wrong if people spend 3 years studying for a nursing degree and get into the associated debt, then want to quit within a small number of years. They might just as well have studied something for its intrinsic value, like a lot of people do (quite right too and good for them…we are human beings, not human doings), rather than with the hope of a lifelong career out of it.

Back to topic, and to reiterate the tragedy of this. Nurses will have worked hard to get their qualifications with a definite related career in mind, unlike many other degree courses. They will have been aware that they’re unlikely to be highly paid, because history informs them that this has always been the case. For them to walk away from working in the NHS, which is their natural and probably preferred employer and work as agency staff so they can afford to live and not put up with the usual nonsense suggests that the govt and health trusts are taking the piss and abusing the vocational nature of these highly skilled and trained people.

3 Likes

My recent experience of dealing with a family emergency in an A&E ward run by medical professionals was deeply traumatic. No blankets, only one commode for the whole A&E & rafts of staff standing around doing nothing because they were not allowed to assist patients with their problems (e.g. porters and similar standing around). They need managers to run these places and let the medical staff get on with caring for patients. They are clearly no good at running hospital departments.

As we had recent problems getting an appointment due to lack of staff, I was talking to a nurse about the reasons for this. She said a lot of it is down to burn out of the pandemic. Many have retired or left the profession after that marathon effort. This then puts a strain on whatever teams are left, leading to a domino effect.

That is basically what is happening here too, they have just had enough.

1 Like

What we need to remember is that nursing used to be a vocation. Usually, women who wanted to learn more about health care and use their natural caring instincts to help people recover.
About 20 years ago they needed new nurses & I know somebody who went through a short training period and was then found a job. The lady I knew had children so ended up in a mental care hospital because she couldn’t work nights. **There was no covid then. **
I think that nursing is a job that very few want to do now, with shift work & unpleasant tasks… and I am sure many parents told their children to avoid working nights and dirty jobs.
Isn’t the real problem that we are all living too long & families can either not afford or don’t want to look after elderly parents. Energy costs will make it difficult for many old people to survive, so maybe that is why the DNR is becoming more common in hospitals!
Everybody wants your money & thanks to the internet they can persuade you to spend via cookies, e mails or ads even if you never go out! If we weren’t so keen to buy something new, when we don’t really need it, perhaps we could pay more towards maintaining a good NHS.
If there are too many people on the earth we have to find some way to reduce them!

I do agree that nursing is a vocation and I think that the education requirements should be relaxed a little .
I don t know if there are still grades of nurses or assistants but it shame that someone with a real vocation but can’t pass three A levels should be denied the chance to be a caring nurse and to work up through the grades .
Perhaps there is ?
Of course nursing has become more technically based as in all things so they must know something that relates to todays nursing .
I don’t believe all these foreign nurses are qualified to our standards in many countries they are less scrupulous about certificates .
As a parent I never told my children not to take night work or dirty jobs . I wanted them to be happy and be qualified in something that they wanted to do .
As most people live in small houses these days there is little room for elderly relatives who themselves may not want to live with their families .
If I was not able to care for myself I would prefer a stranger did those tasks rather than a family member .The real problem IMO is that there are too many of us and we are aging but not dying off so quick .
The country has to pay us pensions . Neither of my grandfathers made pension age . Today most people do .
I don’t understand the idea that is we don’t buy stuff we don’t need it will save the NHS ?
Knocking off the oldies would be a great way of reducing the population but I’m not willing to go out on the ice to the polar bears who is ?
Perhaps some sort of care insurance would be the best idea .

1 Like

@Dextrous63 , Exactly that Dex,. Good post !! :+1::+1:

We do pay. It has a substantial chunk of taxation as well as borrowing. (which we then pay interest on in taxation).

It’s not money that has been the problem (although it will be soon because of Frau Truss’s sauerkraut-brained economic mismanagement). Tories removed the bursary and only recently reinstated. They have meddled and meddled with the NHS, doing one thing then changing their minds. Constantly creating uncertainty for staff. Then there’s Brexit and then Covid effects on movement of much needed labour. They put a cap on Antipodean working visas and I’m assuming the same happened to South Africa. There are also fewer Irish workers coming here now their economy is stronger due to EU membership. The whole hospital recently seems staffed by nurses from the Philippines.

Even before Covid it was all the Tory meddling that had led to 40,000 nursing vacancies. This is nothing new.

1 Like

Tons of money available for the NHS, don’t forget:

3 Likes

:musical_note: The wheels lies on the bus go round, and round…round and round…:musical_note:

4 Likes