Moira Stuart gets Northumbria University honorary degree

The lovely Moira Stewart back then:

Ms Stuart was the first black newsreader on BBC Radio 4 in 1978 and three years later became the first black woman to front the national news on British television.

The university in Newcastle awarded her a Doctor of Letters.

The 72-year-old said her career allowed her to “shift barriers” and “change so many stagnant stereotypes”.

After accepting her new doctorate at a graduation service in Newcastle, Ms Stuart said: “I’m so moved by this honour. I’m deeply indebted to [the university’s] grace and generosity.”

Ms Stuart started at the BBC in the 1970s as a production assistant in BBC Radio’s Talks and Documentaries department, before becoming a BBC Radio 4 announcer, newsreader and programme presenter.

She went on to present almost every type of BBC News bulletin during a period of 40 years.

She has previously been made a CBE and OBE for services to media as well as receiving honorary doctorates from the University of Edinburgh and Canterbury Christ Church University.

and now:

Wow! I didn’t realise that she was black…
:thinking:

You should have gone to SpecSavers … :eyeglasses:

Some of us just accept people for who they are Omah, irrespective of religion, race, or colour.

1 Like

A slight resemblance to Shirley Bassie, do you think? Or is that just me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Of course we do … :wink:

1 Like

yep they’re the same colour :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I preferred her to La Rippon.She was scary.

Nice legs though…

2 Likes

I just do not get this honorary degree thing. It is only a piece of paper and the right to wear a funny hat. The recipients have not studied for it. It just gives the college some kudos and could help them with some fundraising carrot to promote themselves.

1 Like