Mobile Phone tips & tricks

Great idea to share tips & tricks, useful apps and phone adjustments.

I’m a hearing aid user, don’t make many voice calls but love texting, and playing generally. Voice calls are made on speaker/handsfree. And yesterday I made an amazing discovery:

Android, Settings > Sounds & Vibrations > Sound Quality & Effects >

Equaliser … I’ve currently got that on Normal but you can customise that.

Adapt Sound … different setting for different age groups. Over 60 for me.

A great improvement.

1 Like

Let me know what you think (hearing aid user or not).

And what fun have you had with yours todays

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Tip - Clean your phones (externally) … :+1:

https://www.rd.com/article/germs-on-your-phone/

How many germs are actually on your phone?

Let’s face it: Your phone is a breeding ground for germs. And what is especially unsanitary about it is how close you put it to your face and mouth on a regular basis. Scientists at the University of Arizona found that your phone is ten times dirtier than most toilet seats. Gross! Here are other items that are dirtier than a toilet seat. Another study also found that a typical high schooler’s smartphone can have as many as 17,000 bacterial gene copies on it. Think about that the next time you press your phone up against your face to make a phone call.

1 Like

Tip - Clean your phones (internally) … :+1:

Android:

https://support.google.com/android/answer/7431795?hl=en-GB

Talking of which, bit off topic I know but just had a phone call from London, I’m in Devon, as soon as someone spoke I apologised to them saying I couldn’t make the meeting cause of the rail strike , they hung up !!

That is a good thing with new ones you can see where a call is coming from.

Caller ID spoofing?

1 Like

@d00d , thanks for that, could of been from anywhere then.

1 Like

So, I’ve got an android phone, and when googling I can touch the microphone icon, say the word and the text appears.

Now, when composing a text message, is there a way I can speak my message, it comes out as text, I can read, edit & send?

Thanks

Well you can on an iPhone - there’s a microphone icon next to the text field, which you just hold and speak, and it converts to text. This is in WhatsApp. In iMessages, there is a sort of ‘sound’ icon, which acts in the same way. I don’t know about Android though, but I would imagine it would have a similar feature.

Friend Tricia has one of those all singing, all dancing, type of 'phone. Something called ‘bluetooth’ connects it to her hearing aids and she can answer it without ever touching it - even if it is in her handbag. Seriously weird

2 Likes

Indeed there is:

:+1:

I was promised one of those on the nhs, asked them what’s the best phone to get but didn’t really get a straight answer. In fact, that’s how it all began, by asking about best mobile for HA users.

Long story short … I bought a phone (A12, I love it), got the HAs, didn’t like them for a couple of reasons, was told my new phone wasn’t compatible, so now I’m negotiating new HAs of the type I like.

I rarely take the phone with me when I go anywhere, send/receive lots of texts but make only 1 or 2 voice-calls a week. It’s my home phone and I love using it on speaker, hands free. I can easily change HA channels & volume with a touch. So I’m happy without the Bluetooth, (which requires a separate little box usually clipped to your lapel).

1 Like

Thanks @Bathsheba and @Omah … I’ll look further into this.

1 Like