Mint - what to do with it

I’ve got 2 tubs of mint growing vigorously. Originally I just wanted it to add mint to my home grown new potatoes but I have too much.

I don’t like mint sauce . What (if anything) can I do with the surplus mint?

3 Likes

Supply the family and maybe good neighbours with it so they can make mint sauce. Or perhaps make mint sauce with it yourself and keep as that to give it away.

On the other hand I like mint sauce, my address is … … … … … … … … … … … … ! :grinning:

1 Like

Its hard, growing just enough Mint for your own use, same with another pungent Plant!!!

1 Like

Mint is very invasive carol, if you have a plant that you don’t use, dig it up and plant something else, although, a sprig of mint is very nice in pimms…:+1:

I put mint in when I’m cooking my new potatoes, Carol…I’m sure you can also freeze mint?..:grinning:

1 Like

You could think about splitting some mint off the main plant & offering it to others. Places like freecycle, or your local facebook group if you have one, are good places to spread some unwanted bits & pieces.

2 Likes

My grandmother used to make mint jelly … slightly sweet, fully of minty flavour. She’d serve it with roast lamb (absolutely delish). I don’t have a recipe.

2 Likes

Mint tea - either ice or hot - both refreshing.

4 Likes

Carol - found this website for you - lots of delicious ideas!

1 Like

Torn mint leaves … nice added to water when boiling green beans, broad beans, peas.

In Portugal they put pieces of ham (hock) in a big frying pan with lid, add a cup of water, a cup of olive oil & mint. And simmer: Delish … the oily water is spooned onto the plate.

2 Likes

@SilverTabby That’s a useful website ST, thanks. Not only what to do with too much mint but also gives ideas, most of which I never knew, of how to use it for myself. :grinning:

2 Likes

You could always dry it and make tea.

1 Like

I discovered mint tea recently and its wonderful! I’m not a fan of it cold though - or any cold teas for that matter.

1 Like

Try slicing an orange and infusing it with half a cucumber, sliced and a couple of sprigs of mint. It makes a delicious and refreshing summer drink.

Note: many recipes online tell you to use water straight from the tap and leave to infuse in the fridge for a couple of hours. I have made this using hot (not boiling) water from the kettle, to draw the flavours out more fully. Leave to cool before putting in the fridge.

4 Likes

Ahhh, see that’s what I was doing, Sheba, using tap water. Although our tap water is quite soft and perfectly fine in itself to drink, I will try your hot water method and see if there is a difference in taste. :+1:

2 Likes

We have lots of lemon mint growing prolifically at the top of the garden. I’ve never thought to use it in food or drink but it leaves a nice smell on the hands if the leaves are rubbed.

2 Likes

I put it in casseroles with a bit of chillie and garlic, I use fresh so I use a lot just roll it up and cut it with a pair of scissors.