Microwaves and your wifi signal

Ok so Just thought I’d share my experience of this and that it’s a “thing”. If your wifi signal suddenly cuts out be aware that microwaves can interfere with wifi and block it.

So does anyone know why this happens and does it mean that I should get a new microwave?

Quite possibly, WiFi and Microwaves operate at about the same frequency (2.4Ghz) so it is true that if the “seals” on the microwave are faulty (ie the Faraday cage is breached) then the escaping radio waves can interfere with the WiFi signal.

You can hire or borrow a meter to check the leakage from a microwave - my ex employer used to lend them out.

If it is an old microwave then ditch it and buy a new one, let’s face it they are as cheap as chips.

One of these will detect if your door seals are not as good as they once were. I have one and I check all of my MO’s monthly.
Digital LCD Microwave Oven Leakage Detector 2450MHz with Backlight No Need Recalibration : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Thanks both. I will try that detector LD as I’ve only noticed this happening recently and the microwave is in the other room next to the wifi booster plug.

According to this article they can cause cataracts - difficult to take anything the DM prints as not tongue-in-cheek but food for thought nonetheless (no pun intended!)

1 Like

I really like this microwave - it is quite old but it cooks well and is so easy to clean. So I am sad to lose it (never thought I would be saying that about a microwave! :slight_smile: )

Reading this article makes me question whether I want to keep using a microwave. Now I understand why there are people who don’t use them.

1 Like

It’s going to put me off using mine, particularly with any ready meal type cooking where plastic is involved. As long as you are not standing there waiting for a microwave to cook, ie. walk away as far as possible, you should be protected from any leached radiation. But many people just stand there and wait for their food to cook.

1 Like

I’ve never used a microwave Annie, ever since I read an article several years ago where a woman was working with her back to the office microwave. She visited the doctor several times with boils on her neck and back until it was discovered that the microwave was the culprit.

However, it wasn’t the main reason why I’ve never used one. I like to do things the conventional way and time isn’t an issue, so I don’t mind standing over a hob while my soup and beans gradually heat up…Things just taste better when you take your time…Same goes for dishwashers…Never had one, much prefer to soak the plates and dishes in a sink of hot water and use elbow grease.
:sunglasses:

2 Likes