Microsoft's passwordless plan lets users switch to app-based login

Microsoft has announced users can now delete all passwords from their accounts and instead login using an authenticator app or other solution.

The technology giant made passwordless accounts available for business users of its products in March. And that system is now being made available to all Microsoft or Windows users.

If passwordless login is enabled, users re-logging in to a Microsoft account will be asked to give their fingerprint, or other secure unlock, on their mobile phone. And this is far more secure than using passwords, which can be guessed or stolen, according to Microsoft.

Windows users will still be able to use quick-login features such as a Pin code, though.

Some rare exceptions will still need passwords, such as Office 2010, Xbox 360 consoles, and Windows 8.1 or earlier machines. And if access to the authenticator app is lost - for example, if the phone it is installed on is lost or stolen or a user forgets when upgrading - backup options can be used, including:

• Windows Hello facial recognition, which requires a compatible laptop or special camera
  • a physical security key, which must be used on the device logging in
  • Short Message Service (SMS) or email codes

But SMS and email are two of the most common channels for cyber-criminals targeting specific individuals

And Microsoft says security-conscious users who have two-factor authentication set up will need to have access to two different recovery methods.

About time, too … :+1:

Once again it is being assumed that the world and his dog have access to something that uses ‘apps’. What about us dinosuars pensioners that cannot afford to throw out or upgrade our technology every time something new comes on the market?

Apparently:

“Windows users will still be able to use quick-login features such as a Pin code, though.”

Here’s how:

I have just installed Windows 10 on a PC and this time around I gave the finger Microsoft and did not link this installation to my Microsoft account as there is no reason to but it is necessary delve into the settings and turn off the nagging to add an account.

1 Like

Hmmm I’m not really a fan of this. I like passwords.

I also like using one thing at a time…not logging into one thing in order to get access to something else. I can tolerate it for the bank, but I hope it won’t become general use. :woman_shrugging: