Microsoft edge, multiple duplicate files

!! How does that stop edge loading multiple files onto your pc?

The problem is that when Edge is loaded onto my PC, it loads it as multiple duplicate files & even when the multiples are reduced to a single file, it reloads multiple others every time it updates.

I am not sure now, as I have again side stepped Microsofts attempt to force it onto me. But today I first deleted 33 duplicates of 18 files. And it was the second time in 3 days I had offloaded multiples.

Do you check your PC system for unnecessary multiple files? If not, then it is worth doing as they can slow your system down.

Never used Edge, Firefox is my default browser.

That post was not for you it was for @EZ_Rider .

You still have not explained what you mean by duplicate files can you post a screen shot of them or use your phone to take a picture?

If Edge creates the files in question every time it opens, perhaps it needs those files. Do you know if it creates them over and over again, or is it only replacing the files because have been deleted? Even if it creating these files, I can’t say I’ve noticed much difference in browser performance between Edge, Firefox or any other browser I’ve tried over recent times.

I know that a duplicate file finder will find many duplicates. Most have slightly different file names though. Either that or they are in different folders/directories. It might be safe to delete some but it’s possibly a risk to do it. The system or a program knows where to find the files it needs. If it looks for and expects to find a file in one place but it has been deleted, it may not look for another copy of the file elsewhere.

As I understand it, the system or a program seeks and finds the files it needs to run extremely quickly. The ones not needed are skipped equally quickly. Perhaps over an entire system with many big programs installed, any duplicated or unneeded files might add some microseconds of extra seek times but pretty much only the blink of an eye. Duplicate (possibly not needed) files only take up disk space and that in itself isn’t likely to slow things down noticeably.

A clean system is good but maybe it’s possible to be too concerned about that? I personally leave the cleaning process up to PrivaZer (about once a week). Over a time, I’ve come to trust what it thinks needs keeping and what can be deleted, even in the Registry. If a duplicate file finder is run after PrivaZer has done its job, many duplicates in various locations will still be found. However, I think they are most likely needed and so they stay.

The same here. But I also have Opera that I occasionally use. However, Microsoft loads Edge onto your PC/laptop as part of it’s system, including at updates. So unless you alter one of the internal values in a program for zero to one, you will keep getting Edge uploaded.

I have finally got fed up with Edge being uploaded as bloatware at every update & have altered the value to one now.

Microsoft makes it as difficult as they can to remove Edge. But it can be done.

I have removed them & offloaded Edge.

The multiple files are numerous & all within the same folders & uploaded as part of edge & it’s updates. They are multiples of identicle files loaded into the same folder within the programing that is Edge.

Duplicate files are far from uncommon, but I have never known a program like Edge for uploading so many & so often.

It would have been useful to see an image of the files you are referring to as I do not have this issue?

I do not use Edge & normally get rid of it within a few days of it being forced upon me once more. Normally, I would be happy for something like Edge to sit there unused. After all, an extra web browser could be handy. But it simply sits there unused acquiring extra unwanted & un-needed duplicate files. At one point, on an earlier experience with Edge, I ended up with just over 100 duplicate files with a month :astonished: :astonished: I have no idea what I started with, on that occasion. but it was a fraction of that.

Personally I do not Microsoft or Google & Edge is a mixture of both, so god knows how much spyware there is within the program, as both love to collect as much information on us as they can get away with.

What I find with Edge is. If I do nothing & simply watch, over the days/weeks, the number of duplicate files increase. I have asked Microsoft support for an explanation, but they simply say the ever-increasing number of duplicates are needed. Not why they increase in number so dramatically, even when the program is not used.

No other program on my PC does anything even remotely similar & no other program has ever needed to be unloaded to stop it growing so dramatically in size.

:+1: :+1:

It has once more been done, but Microsoft do not make it easy.

I had already offloaded it when I started this thread. I just wondered if anyone else had a similar issue with it.

Just removed Edge from one of my PC’s using the second method in the link, pretty straight forward. Getting the Edge version number is a bit of faff and neither will it be installed again, fingers crossed.

1 Like

I have offloaded Edge from mine several times & have now altered the value to one, so it will hopefully not reload again. But we should not have Edge forced on us like that. So maybe it’s time to move to a different operating system.

I have a laptop for radio use that runs on Ubuntu & have even tried the open source Chrome OS system, but if I do move, then it will probably be to Free BSD, which is the best of the ones I have tried.

I have no problem with Edge, still have it on one PC it is not my default browser and I have not had any issues, don’t want to sound like a broken record but as I have no idea what you mean by duplicate files and where they occur it is difficult to suggest a solution.

I use Linux Mint to a fair degree. I haven’t tried FreeBSD. Why is it better than Mint?

For me, the user experience is better. My understanding is that Linux is best if you run any servers, but I don’t. I just want an independent operating system & because it’s not Windows or Linux, viruses are not really an issue & I am told it is more stable than Linux, not that I have had any issues with newer versions of Linux.

1 Like

Thanks Gee3 - I haven’t had any issues with Linux Mint as a user OS but I’m always interested to look at other distros. One thing I find with Mint is that it is forever being updated. I don’t mind that too much but it does make me want to refresh the update list every time I use it. Nearly always some more available. Is it the same with FreeBSD?

I find that if I don’t run a Registry check & a defrag after an update, my system starts to slow with windows. Windows is a good system, in many ways, but without good houskeeping, you don’t get the best from it.

In the same way I am far from a fan of Google, but their operating system is very good, for what it is. I just hate their data collection.

Since the mid 90’s when BSD began, there have been 11 or 12 versions. So it’s not terrible.

The PC I had FreeBSD on ended up being used for tracking aircraft, I had 3 receiver usb dongles operating on 1080MHz. The aircraft, Automatic Dependent Surveillance- Broadcast (ADS-B) Which sends out tracking information on most aircraft. But I needed to change to either a Raspberry Pi or an Apple system to keep doing that, so I dropped that PC from my feed & now use a windows system for my own feed. & do not send a feed to anyone else.

So PC was never really updated. I fed the USB dongle receiver information out, but the PC it’s self had no internet connection to update via. That kept the system stable & I just ran occasional checks to keep it running smoothly.

But I am currently seriously thinking of buying a reasonable used, newer PC & putting BSD on that.

That’s about the same with Linux Mint (based on Ubuntu) …but then comes the subsequent updates to the major versions. It’s those that are very frequent. They don’t have to be installed but they probably are improvements to the OS and best accepted. I might give FreeBSD a try,

1 Like