Microsoft edge, multiple duplicate files

Does anyone else have a problem with Microsoft Edge loading lots of multiple files onto their system?

I like to keep my PC clean & running at it’s best. so one of my regular checks is for multiple files & every time Microsoft loads an unwanted version of edge onto my PC, I start to get not just a few, but lots of multiple files loading onto my PC & it is not just a matter of unloading them & that being the job done, I get lots, as in 20 plus, multiple files loading several times a week, when Edge is loaded onto my PC.

So far I have always been able to unload Edge, but it is annoying & an unwanted hassle. Is anyone else getting n issue like this?

What do you mean by multiple files?

Files produced unnecessarily twice or more on my PC. Edge seems to produce some of it’s files 3 or 4 times within the same program, unnecessarily. But most files are simply a second unnecessary copy.

I only use Chrome but Edge always tries to overide it when I open up. It’s removed every time. Bloody annoying though.

1 Like

Since Edge Chromium was updated from the original Edge, I’ve found it easy to use and no, no duplication of anything unless it’s at my command.

1 Like

What sort of files, Edge is a browser so am confused by what you mean by files?

1. Launch the Settings App
  2. Search for Notifications & Actions
  3. Disable the notifications by setting Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows to Off.

I’ve just had an afterthought. Do you clear out all of the Windoze update footprints after an update has installed? It’s surprising how much dead wood those footprints create in your hard drive. Also do you clean up before shutting down with a registry cleaner? I always run CCleaner free version to clean up before shutting down.

Microsoft refused to release their own registry cleaner tool, or endorse any third party registry cleaner. And this is within reason. Microsoft’s stance is that they don’t want users messing with the registry since it probably brings attention to the most bloated part of Windows. Simply put, messing with your Windows registry without knowing what you are doing can trigger serious errors that can render Windows inoperable.
Basically whereas a registry cleaner may have been useful in the past it certainly isn’t now and certainly not daily.

What are the files called? What extension(s) do they have? Where are they located on the system?

Edit: I use Edge as the main browser now and haven’t noticed anything bad about it other than it asks if I want to change to Microsoft settings every now and then. Choosing ‘no’ overcomes that.

Files the various sections that make up the program on your PC.

!! How does that stop edge loading multiple files onto your pc?

The problem is that when Edge is loaded onto my PC, it loads it as multiple duplicate files & even when the multiples are reduced to a single file, it reloads multiple others every time it updates.

I am not sure now, as I have again side stepped Microsofts attempt to force it onto me. But today I first deleted 33 duplicates of 18 files. And it was the second time in 3 days I had offloaded multiples.

Do you check your PC system for unnecessary multiple files? If not, then it is worth doing as they can slow your system down.

Never used Edge, Firefox is my default browser.

That post was not for you it was for @EZ_Rider .

You still have not explained what you mean by duplicate files can you post a screen shot of them or use your phone to take a picture?

If Edge creates the files in question every time it opens, perhaps it needs those files. Do you know if it creates them over and over again, or is it only replacing the files because have been deleted? Even if it creating these files, I can’t say I’ve noticed much difference in browser performance between Edge, Firefox or any other browser I’ve tried over recent times.

I know that a duplicate file finder will find many duplicates. Most have slightly different file names though. Either that or they are in different folders/directories. It might be safe to delete some but it’s possibly a risk to do it. The system or a program knows where to find the files it needs. If it looks for and expects to find a file in one place but it has been deleted, it may not look for another copy of the file elsewhere.

As I understand it, the system or a program seeks and finds the files it needs to run extremely quickly. The ones not needed are skipped equally quickly. Perhaps over an entire system with many big programs installed, any duplicated or unneeded files might add some microseconds of extra seek times but pretty much only the blink of an eye. Duplicate (possibly not needed) files only take up disk space and that in itself isn’t likely to slow things down noticeably.

A clean system is good but maybe it’s possible to be too concerned about that? I personally leave the cleaning process up to PrivaZer (about once a week). Over a time, I’ve come to trust what it thinks needs keeping and what can be deleted, even in the Registry. If a duplicate file finder is run after PrivaZer has done its job, many duplicates in various locations will still be found. However, I think they are most likely needed and so they stay.

The same here. But I also have Opera that I occasionally use. However, Microsoft loads Edge onto your PC/laptop as part of it’s system, including at updates. So unless you alter one of the internal values in a program for zero to one, you will keep getting Edge uploaded.

I have finally got fed up with Edge being uploaded as bloatware at every update & have altered the value to one now.

Microsoft makes it as difficult as they can to remove Edge. But it can be done.

I have removed them & offloaded Edge.

The multiple files are numerous & all within the same folders & uploaded as part of edge & it’s updates. They are multiples of identicle files loaded into the same folder within the programing that is Edge.

Duplicate files are far from uncommon, but I have never known a program like Edge for uploading so many & so often.

It would have been useful to see an image of the files you are referring to as I do not have this issue?