Microphone for cameras

Yes only for those interested in making a video and undecided as to which microphone to choose. First of all most built in camera microphones pick up wind noise causing a "rumble " on the sound track which ruins a video. So the answer is to use an extrnl microphone . Now come the issue which microphone to choose? a stereo -directional or a remote that clips onto clothing ( lavalier microphone)
what to watch out for
1= is the lead fixed into the microphone? what happens if it gets damaged ? microphone useless so get one with a detachable lead
2 = batteries, some have 9V square which may be hard to find if on holiday and difficult to fit with the
microphone on the camera.
3= ease of fitting in new battery
To me these are the main concerns. Also there are a few makes that are not only directional but can be stereo as well. That really got me interested not having to keep swapping fron directional to stereo.
As usual I did a bit of investigating and came up with two microphone to fit the bill so to speak.
The first was this one by Boya that has swivel heads and an excellet microphone that has detachable lead takes 2 triple a batteries and volume control etc. However now selling it due to getting a new microphone

Agakn it was a hard choice between the Rhode and the Azden SMX-30V but cost then was the issue. the Azden half the price of the Rhode and just as good sound reproduction.

shown with muffler over the foam provided one

What I do like about the Azden is being able to go from stereo to directional or anything between by turning a dial. Not only that but a choice of being powered by the camera battery and turns off when the camera is turned off or by a couple of AA batteries loaded from the front.

I do have a Sennheiser MKE400 directional one as well but to change the battery means rfemoving off a camera as tghe compartment is underneath

update on my microphones and my suggestions
first of all my one and only directional microphone the Sennheiser MKE400.

good points
really good small microphone powered by a single AAA battery. Comes with volume contol and wind prevention settings,also a foam wind protector got a furry one for it as well. produced sound that for me is acceptable not being an audio expert. Price around ÂŁ160 now replaced with MK 11 version

Bad points
the audio cable if fixed and can’t be replaced and changing the battery requires removal from the camera, Recommend a better wind cheater as well “deadcat” still worth considering getting
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- next crossover stereo/ directional microphone and starting wi th the BOYA BY SM80

again a small microphone this time powered by 2xAAA batteries

good points

again comes with buttons on the back for wind reduction and a nice furry “deadcat”. with this one the audio cable is which is handy if one gets damaged , the microphone heads as swivel to suit sound signal. receives very good stereo sound one of ts strong points.

Bad points
the sound for me is a bit tinny for my liking if you get what I mean and would need work in post processing. Price around £60 used don’t think still in production

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- next is my new Panasonic VW-VMS10. Bit different this time being what is caled a shotgun microphone

Good points
claimed to be stereo and directional . needs no batteries as it is powered from the camera. Good sound quality and comes with a decent “deadcat”. I like how light it is compared to the following microphone in my list. Can’t see any reason not to use on a camera and that is where mine will be

bad points
I think this is strictly a consumer grade microphone with poor stereo. Directional is ok but little seperation between left and right. Have to add not given it a proper outdoor test so may be better than I expect. also come with fixed audio cable. Price around ÂŁ110

Finally
my Azden SMX-30 v

this is completely different setup yet again with shotgun and surround microphones all in one.

good points
Powered by 2 AA batteres or by camera.camcorder . if by camera has auto off when camera turned off. The the sound direction can be dialed in depending on if you want directional or stereo or inbetween so no need to swap microphones . sound quality is excellent but should be as a pro microphone. Has good pickup range as well. Batteries easily swapped without using supplied foam deadcat. Audio cable detachable. can adjust the DB’s and etc via switches on the back

Bad points
Heavier than al the above and trying to fit a furry “deadcat” over the top rubs against the suspension cradle and picked ujp bu the sensetive microphone which is super sensitive. Price new around £260+ depending on supplier.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- summery
you get what you pay for obviously but one does need to consider what is good and bad about any as I have tried to point out. For me the Azden knock spots off all the others and once owned never looking back. yes there are other well known makes but I rejected them for reasons such as battery type and accessibility - how they are mounted to camera- cost- fixed audio cable to name but a few

1 Like

Good overview, RS…my main concern (or rather the first thing that came to mind) was that I like the Panasonic because it draws power from the camera but…and its a big but…surely then you would need extra power banks with you to re-charge the camera because of the quickness of discharge.

Do you use these on a regular camera, or are they for your camcorder?

PK
Good point about drawing power from a camera. so yes possibly worth taking spare battery. however the battery drain is negligible in comparison with camera use.
The sennheiser was my go to microphone for years with my old camcorder and never noticed any battery drain,Then the stereo got me thinking so bought the cheapish Boya which I no longer want with the aaa batteries. Should really sell it . then the absolutely amazing Azden and today the panasonic arrived so undecided about that one really

1 Like

Neighbour just popped in about a video project and he bought that boya mikcrophone

1 Like

You didn’t give him the hard sell did you? :joy:

Would I ever? been wanting to get rid of for ages,

1 Like