Michael Portillo on the BBC - “It is like a polar bear on a receding piece of ice.”

This clip is him explain the out come.

37 minutes long.

Very interesting.
I’ve only watched half of it so far. I’ll watch the rest later.
However, I’ve got the gist of the matter and I look forward to further developments.

It sounds very much like the police, and one woman in particular, have been ‘stretching’ the law. I believe they’ve chosen the wrong victim and their actions will come back to bite them.

It is encouraging that there are people like this man who are capable of and willing to stand up to corrupt people, and I’m impressed with the number of people who seem to be backing him up.

We don’t watch BBC at all these days…its mostly Netflix, et al with some stuff on the other channels, and I find stuff on Youtube that would never get on TV as its too niche. I resent paying the licence as well.

It is most disturbing. The police, the state broadcaster in cahoots. Ashamed, angry and disgusted. People in powerful public service clearly abusing and breaking the law.

Never believed I would be fearful in the country of my birth.

How many are in prison because the investigating officer decided they were suitable suspects to be stitched up.

This man says he received no apology and never will, sorry is an admission of wrong doing, guilty.

The police, aided and abetted by the BBC, broke into Cliff Richards house illegally, Cliff was never charged with anything and he eventually took the case to court and was awarded an undisclosed payout.

The BBC version…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49576940

Alex Belfield is quite correct when he says that the BBC think they are above the law.

Not a mention on HIGNFY of the Bashir scandal, quell surprise.

When ITV went Chav, in the morning, there was no where else to go but the BBC, maybe Chav was the more honest option?

I hope the BBC continue to behave like this for two reasons:

1. They will continue to end up paying compensation to people they have incorrectly accused and the money they are obliged to pay out will eventually exceed their income from TV licences and sales of their programmes.

2. The inevitable publicity which has already been seen not only around this country, but also internationally, will harm them even further by turning more and more people against them.

I look forward to the BBC doing us all a big favour by going bankrupt.

I can’t wait JB…:023: The Savile affair should have finished them by rights, it smacks of collaboration with some people in high places.

Didn’t the buggers dangle his pants out the window?

This once sentence sums up the arrogant omnipotence within the corporation.

"The BBC's costs are within the scope of our legal insurance," added a corporation spokesman.      

Like that legitimises criminality. The government will do nothing about this, but enough pressure from licence payers about the misuse of our money would get their attention.

Well I’ve done my bit.

Kirsty Wark on BBC newsnight, BBC asked to appear on the BBC to discuss the BBC but the BBC said no.

No kidding. Nobody was available, yeah right.:smiley:

That would never happen on Russian or Chinese television. :018:

Too right, they’d be shot.

Tony Hall (oops sorry, Lord Hall) resigns

[I]Ex-BBC director general Lord Hall has resigned as National Gallery chairman amid the outcry after an inquiry into Panorama’s Princess Diana interview.

Lord Hall, who was director of news when Martin Bashir used deception to get the 1995 scoop, said his continued presence would be a “distraction”.

The inquiry described an internal probe led by Lord Hall in 1996 into what happened as “woefully ineffective”.

Diana’s brother Earl Spencer has asked the Met Police to investigate the BBC
[/I]

That’s jolly decent of him. We wouldn’t want him spoiling an enquiry now would we.

“THE BBC is facing another major multi-million pound crisis with the possibility of its licence fee being frozen over the next five years or even cut in the wake of the scandal over Martin Bashir’s bombshell interview with Princess Diana in 1995.” says the lead sentence of this article in today’s DE (other newspapers are carrying it too).

Frozen? It should cease and the BBC fund itself from advertising or from whoever wants to subscribe to it, which wouldn’t be many.

“Obviously I regret it, it was wrong. But it had no bearing on anything. It had no bearing on [Diana], it had no bearing on the interview.”   

“I did something wrong … but for pity’s sake, acknowledge something of the relationship we had and something of what she contributed through that interview.

No way, the relationship was based on deception, he was trusted by her. The interview and the claims he made was the reason she gave up the security.

I don’t blame Earl Spencer for asking the police to get involved. If Bashir used falsified documents then this is indeed a criminal offence. If the BBC deliberately failed to report it, then it is complicit in the crime.