Michael Parkinson has died

What a fantastic broadcaster. In the days of 3 TV channels and no social media, his interviews with the likes of John Wayne, Orson Welles, Peter Sellers and Bing Crosby must have been legendary.
Nobody to rival him since, as Graham Norton and Jonathan Ross are essentially comedy shows.
He will be missed.

7 Likes

It was definitely his show … come what may.

5 Likes

That bl**dy bird (said in a Yorkshire accent).

3 Likes

One of his best interviews was with Muhammad Ali.

4 Likes

He was amazing,and will be thought about and missed very much.
RIP Mr P.

3 Likes

That bl**dy bird (said in a Yorkshire accent)

A tribute from Dickie Bird.
Former cricket umpire Dickie Bird, a friend since childhood, told the PA news agency: “His friendship meant more to me than anything else. If I wanted any advice, I would ring Parky up. He helped me in so many, many ways.”

He added: "There will never be a chat show host like Michael Parkinson. He was the best. There will never be anyone better than him in your lifetime, my lifetime or anyone else’s lifetime."

Hear, hear!

2 Likes

I liked Terry Wogan . He had a bit of magic about him.

5 Likes

He had a sense of humour for sure :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

RIP Michael.

1 Like

Been thinking about this: he was hugely popular as he did quiet self depreciation, plus he let the celebs do the talking … instead of trying to compete. A very funny man, on the quiet.

4 Likes

RIP Parky.

He was very popular here in Oz.

He was the epitome of a Yorkshire Bloke.
Interesting, knowledgeable and modest…Just like me… :blush:
RIP Michael. Any chance you could interview the big guy? Now that would be something…
:astonished:

3 Likes

Yes,they say what they like and like what they say.

RIP from me and all ya fans no doubt and I’m just waiting for Billy C’s words unless he’s gawn too?

There is no doubt he was very good at what he did. He brought the best out in people.

I loved Parky …he never lost his Yorkshire roots

I remember him reminiscing about his dad who told him well you’ve done well in life son…but think on its not the same as playing cricket for Yorkshire :slight_smile:

RIP. Parky x

1 Like

Not his best interview which he apologized for after he was castigated over it.

Helen Mirren - The sexist Parkinson’s interview [1/2] - YouTube

@galty sexist if viewed in the context of 2023 yes. In 1975 our top 5 tv shows of the year included Benny Hill, Miss World and Love Thy Neighbour, so I’m sure you’ll agree it was a very different world. Not entirely sure why the reply is necessary but there we go…

2 Likes

RIP from me and all ya fans no doubt and I’m just waiting for Billy C’s words unless he’s gawn too?

[quote=“galty, post:17, topic:98949”]
Not his best interview which he apologized for after he was castigated for it.
It backfired on Michael, Helen held her own and left him slightly disconcerted. Great anecdote about wearing a leather jacket in BBC TV centre, when in a lift and as door opened being greeted by Eric Morecambe, who put his glasses to the side of his nose and told him he looked like a tall wallet.

2 Likes