Metric weights and measures

I know my place, I have the bruises to prove it.:wink:

I wonder how many youngsters now, would even know what an Ironmongers is?

You’ll all be wanting pounds, shillings and pence next
:roll_eyes:

1 Like

And yet another thing - what’s with all these awful 3-pin plugs now ey?
Darmn stupid things have hardly anything to get hold of to pull 'em out the socket now.
They infuriate me too.

I’m in full swing with me rant tonight. image

1 Like

Hah. I’ll have you know young man, that the money is about the only thing I am OK with. :smiley:

If you are a bloke you might say, ‘ yeh mate
straight ahead till you reach The Boars Head, then take the next left go along there till you get to the Kings Head turn left at the chippies, and it’s right there
ok?’

Yeah, I bet that’s about right as well. :laughing:

Nothing wrong with a couple of pints and a bag o chips

Regarding those stupid plugs again though, I understand there is a gadget you can buy to grip them with to yank 'em out properly, but surely there should never have been a need to make a gadget in the first place if they’d left the plugs as they’ve always been. Grrr. . . .

50mm = 2 inches :wink:

1 Like

I’m also an inch, feet and yard person, Mups 

and pints, quarts and gallons.

No way will I change now! :grinning:

1 Like

Do y’know folks, I am so glad I started this thread, because I don’t feel so inadequate at my befuddlement anymore.
I am so pleased there are others who feel the same. x x

1 Like

Imperial for me as well. Even my tape measure is in inches, heaven help me if I ever lose it. Not so long ago at the vets I had to put Dageus on their scales and I had no idea what the weight was. I had to write it down and Google it when I got home. He was just under 6 stone.

1 Like

Remember the old fractions? 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 - each one smaller than the previous one? 0.5, 0.4, 0.2, 0.1 etc is the same thing - each one smaller than the previous one.

For future reference, if you can remember that 300 mm is approx 1 foot, you should be able to work out other sizes.

1 Like

Yes Rox, quite right, and that’s another thing inflicted upon us, as well. :+1:

Thank you Judsy, I think I might remember what you said about the 0.4, etc , but the other one about how many mm’s in feet, will be long gone by the time I wake up in the morning. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Naw, I’ll stick with my own way of coping. :eyes: :grin: :rofl:

When i first came to Australia the country was just changing to metric units and with hindsight the way they did it was excellent. I say “with hindsight” because I too hated the change. I was at school in the UK when they started the first of their many bungles toward metric, first it was CGS units, then MKS units and, I presume, they finally settled on SI units, nobody stuffs up change better than the British.

What they did here was ban all references to the old system, no stating the temperature in the weather forecast in both Celsius and Fahrenheit, no lbs or ounces in the shops, 8ft by 4ft wall panels were still the same size but referred to in mm - it was metric only everywhere. Importing rulers with inches on them was totally banned, the road signs were changed virtually over night. Imperial measurements were never mentioned again.

Because of this even objectors like me learned the metric system because we had no choice and now I am so glad they did it this way rather than muddling along with both systems as has happened in the UK.

I still lapse, I might say to my kids something like, “Move it a couple of inches toward me.” The object in question could then move anything from a centimetre to foot! My daughter once asked me, “What are lumbs and ozzies?”. On the whole I much prefer metric.

1 Like

OK, here are my comments on the metric system

For years Britain and its Empire used The Imperial System, hence the name
From time to time there were discussions about changing to the Metric System, but nothing much came of it, though it was increasingly adopted by the scientific community

Then after the Second World War the idea of changing became more serious because -

The British Empire was breaking up, so Britain was increasingly looking to trade with other countries, especially in Europe
Computerisation was just around the corner
Thus it was fairly obvious that Britain would need to change both the Imperial System to Metric and the currency from pounds, shillings and pence - ÂŁsd to decimal currency

So Britain officially adopted the Metric System in 1965, but the government decided to make it a gradual change as this would be less disruptive, and cheaper
The idea was that as new generations were taught Metric at school, machines were renewed, shops & manufacturers changed packaging, and so on, the change to Metric would happen naturally over just a few years, certainly within a new generation of school kids

Well that was the plan, but as we know it didn’t happen like that, and we now have a silly and confusing mixture of Imperial and Metric
Compare this with places like Canada, India, & Australia where the change was done properly, completely, and fairly quickly

My opinion is that the sooner we get rid of the old fashioned units and adopt the Metric System completely, the better

I voted Leave, and I have no wish to return to the EU, but its not about that
I think the Metric System is better, and also it is used all over the world
Although the USA is now the only country that hasn’t officially adopted the Metric system, I have American friends who tell me that it is becoming more common

I use grams & kilos for weighing, metres, cm, & mm for decorating, DIY, carpentry, litres for milk & petrol and so on
I must admit that I’m not yet completely familiar with some units, such as kilometres for distances & driving, but that’s because we hardly use them; I’m sure that will improve as I get more familiar

I was taught and have used both systems, but I find that I prefer Metric.

It was obvious that we couldn’t run £sd & decimal at the same time, so that was done completely & quickly

1 Like