Meta (Facebook) faces eight lawsuits claiming social media hurts kids

There have been studies of how social media leads to depression and anxiety in teens, but nothing has come of it.

A law firm is now suing Meta with 8 different lawsuits claiming that Meta knew their platform was harming children but did nothing about it in order to reap more profits.

1 Like

This is one time I would like the lawyers to win!

2 Likes

As I see it the biggest single problem with much of social media is anonymity. The vast majority of people for fairly obvious reasons hide their real identity. This means that those that want to cause mischief can do so almost with impunity.

They should stop rigging elections as well.

It can seriously interferes with adults mental health too not just kids.

Here is an article I read

But if social media is seen as neither positive nor negative, what is true is that it leaves people fighting for views, claps, likes or praise. That affects both the younger and the older generations.

The constant search for recognition and attention can have detrimental effects on our lives and leave us hurt or needing more attention. The story of a ‘Mum Blogger’ who felt compelled to defend her son because the pictures she shared of him on Instagram were not generating much reaction is a tragic example.

Various studies have shown that a high use of social media increases the risk of depression and anxiety. It has even been shown to increase the risk of self-harm and suicide.

1 Like