Merino Wool Hiking Gear/Clothing

1000 mile socks work for me Azz, guaranteed to last at least 1000 miles or your money back.
I find cotton socks (bless em’) are the best. Quick drying, and soft on the skin.

1 Like

Azz the downside of merino wool products is that you have to ensure they don’t need handwashing. I have quite a few machine washable merino wool cardigans from UNIQLO but some merino products are very needy & can shrink. I would not say they are warmer than acrylic. Just feel nice and luxurious.

Also where are you going hiking? Winter hiking can be dangerous. Get a headlamp and emergency rations.

1 Like

I have a Merino wool jumper, l bought from Marks and Spencer’s a while back.
I am so careful with it and only handwash it. It is very soft and comfy to wear!!

I don’t do hiking though!

2 Likes

Merino Wool socks DO have the best reputation and (usually) have excellent “wicking” properties.

Composition and construction have significant bearing on wearability.

I found that liner socks were of significant benefit to me:

1 Like

My favourite socks are actually these from Bridgedales:

I bought my first pair from Amazon some years ago and they were brilliant, nice padding and kept me cool in the summer. So I bought another pair - but they ran noticeably hotter! So I ended up buying another three Pairs directly from Bridgdale (to qualify for free delivery) which are probably in between my original pair and the second pair. I also have two pairs of Bridgdale liners.

I can’t believe I have spent over £100 on socks :icon_eek: but I only did so because a few months ago I got a blister! I had been out every day and the day I got the blister I had to rush my walk as I was having a drink with my neighbours in the evening (they were moving) I think I must have just overdone it that day :icon_rolleyes: (The funny thing is my neighbour who’s in the army wanted to cut off the skin - he said that’s what he does when he has to deal with it at work, I said no thanks! :lol:)

1 Like

Not just for hiking …I wear merino wool socks in the winter they are the best.

John Lewis have a big range of wool socks

2 Likes

@Azz , l must agree Azz, wool and plastic don’t mix, all wool or all cotton
seems to be the best ?
But l must say that bamboo is quite nice too ?
I have a pair of bamboo under pants that do all l want of them !
Perhaps you should try them? ( not mine of course, but new ones :grin:)

2 Likes

I thought those socks looked familiar, so I checked:

They were, as I recall, worn with IsoCool liner socks on short, fair-weather, walks and were very comfortable:

My foul-weather Bridgedales were these:

These were 27% Merino Wool and excellent (with liners) on long walks.

:+1:

1 Like

Sealskinz

1 Like

Hope this isn’t a daft question, but these are 100% Merino Wool - can they be used as a base layer? Just seem a lot cheaper than the hiking brands :confused:

£13

£15.50

£19.50

1 Like

At that price, I’d be tempted to try one out - it might not have all the qualities of a premium product but might well suffice for short winter walking:

1. Buying a Merino Wool Base Layer – What is important?
    Material:

Merino wool fabrics differ in density, porosity and diameter of fibers. The fiber’s diameter dictates the softness of the fabric; the smaller the diameter, the softer is the fabric. Merino wool fibers have a diameter between 17 microns (Ultrafine Merino Wool) and 24 microns (Strong Merino Wool). Base layers are usually made of fabrics with densities between 130g/m2 and 250 g/m2. Fabric densities under 160 g/m2 are perfect for warm conditions while thicker base layers are best for hiking in autumn, winter and spring.

Merino wool can also be blended with other fibers such as nylon, polyester and polyamide to increase the lifespan (durability) of garments. However, such blends also have their shortcomings; the fabric becomes less soft to the touch and if the content of synthetic fibers is very high, the fabric also starts losing its breathability and odor resistance. For more information about Merino wool, read our article Why you should wear Merino wool clothing and this article from Smartwool.

Seams:

The seams of your base layer should not cause rubbing or chafing. To reduce any possible discomfort caused by the seams, manufacturers often use flatlock seams. Flatlock seams are particularly important when it comes to tight-fitting base layers. Read more about flatlock seams in our article What are flatlock seams.

Odor-resistance:

Merino wool is superior to any other material when it comes to odor-resistance because it contains lanolin (wool wax) which efficiently reduces odor-causing bacteria. Synthetic fabrics can be treated with antimicrobial agents to mimic this quality, but these treatments tend to get washed out fast.

Durability:

Pure Merino wool is not as durable as synthetic materials – nylon, polyester etc. However, some manufacturers blend Merino wool with nylon to increase its durability. This also allows them to make very thin and porous garments without jeopardizing their durability. Read more about the durability of Merino wool in our article How durable are Merino garments.

Fit:

The fit of a base layer has an impact on its performance; tight-fitting base layers are best for cold conditions while base layers with a regular or loose fit are best for warm conditions as they provide better ventilation.

I’m going the synthetic way, since I require wicking rather than warmth, and I’ve just ordered a couple of these:

1 Like

Thanks @Omah

It looks a lot thicker compared to most base layers (like the one in your link). I think I’d prefer thinner one, but one of the ones in my post could be used as the sole garment under a coat. It’d all depend on how it feels I guess. I’ve got Asos premier so might order a few just to try them :lol:

I’m not a fan of polyester - I’ve noticed over the years how I feel irritable and uncomfortable in synthetic clothing… maybe this explains why:

1 Like

Cotton is bad for hiking:

That site also had several articles on merino v polyester.

However, much of my casual wear is cotton, even though I no longer need to worry about my fertility … :laughing:

1 Like

Wool of any kind makes me itch. I’ve always prefered cotton clothing despite what the article says.
Dr Michael Mosley tested cotton sportswear against synthetic fabrics and found that bacteria flourished on the synthetic clothing after sweating but not on the cotton. I have always run marathons and ultra distance runs in cotton tee shirts and because they hold moisture longer than synthetic shirts, they keep you cool and prevent dehydration.
And when you are spending a few days out on the fell without being able to wash or change your clothes, the last thing you want is a bacterial garden growing in your underwear.
And like Omah, concerning fertility…That ship has long since sailed.

2 Likes

I agree cotton is great for summer hikes :smiley:

I’ve always found this too… but apparently if they are made right it shouldn’t itch? I don’t think I have any merino wool clothing other than those socks - so maybe merino wool is different?

1 Like

I like a merino wool sweater, they look good, keep you warm, and don’t make contact with skin. But for fabrics worn next to the skin, especially in winter, I would always recommend microfibre Azz. It’s soft and gentle on the skin, keeps you warm even when wet, and is thin enough to wear underneath other clothing. Here’s what wiki says…

Unfortunately I was unable to copy and paste the article for some reason… :017:

1 Like

Was this the entry?

Microfiber can be used to make tough, very soft fabric for clothing, often used in skirts and jackets. Microfiber fabric can also be used in bathrobes, jackets, swim trunks, and other aquatic apparel. Microfiber can be made into Ultrasuede, a synthetic imitation of suede leather, which is cheaper and easier to clean and sew than natural suede leather.

2 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: Can’t copy/paste on the the forum

There’s a Big Merino at Goulburn

1 Like

I have a lot of Merino wool clothing, after a recommendation from a subscriber in Canada. I love every piece. Keeps me warm and toasty on cold British days.

1 Like