Mass rescue of 17 caught in rip current off Bournemouth

The RNLI said the flash rip current appeared off Bournemouth Pier Beach shortly before 13:00 BST on Monday.

Lifeguards carried out a mass rescue after the group, who were between the red and yellow flags off the beach, were seen being dragged out to sea.

The charity said the group were all brought to safety via rescue boards and a rescue water craft.

Rips are strong currents running out to sea, which can quickly drag people out to deeper water.

RNLI lifeguard supervisor, Ethan Fox, said:

“It’s very unusual for a flash-rip current to develop in this area, but when they do form they develop quickly. Thankfully the group were well prepared and had followed the charity’s advice by swimming between the red and yellow flags closely monitored by the lifeguards throughout the day. If this would have happened outside the flags, the lifeguards would not have been able to respond so quickly and assist the large group safely back to shore.”

Well done, the RNLI … :clap:

I’m an avid viewer of BBC’s “Saving Lives at Sea” and I am full of admiration for the volunteers of this life-saving service … :038:

2 Likes

They obviously weren’t swimming between the flags.

The article says they were … :man_shrugging:

Thankfully the group were well prepared and had followed the charity’s advice by swimming between the red and yellow flags closely monitored by the lifeguards throughout the day.

The lifeguards need better training if they can’t recognise a rip when it appears, blow their whistles and move the flags.

There’s actually two rips in that photo

1 Like

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2021-08-31/rnli-rescues-17-people-caught-in-flash-rip-off-bournemouth-beach

Seventeen people were swimming on the east side of the beach when an RNLI lifeguard decided to paddle out on a rescue board to offer advice, due to the large number.

As they paddled out, a flash-rip current started to form, and the group were swept out to sea.

The lifeguard came and assisted six casualties onto the rescue board whilst calling over to his colleagues for assistance.

Really scary a rip tide, we have one up here off one of our biggest beaches, There’s a big notice up about keeping dogs close to shore and not to go in after them if they do get caught in it. I won’t even let mine in the shallows, too much of a water baby for his own good. If it’s hot then we go to another beach so he can swim.

One of the very few charities I always put my hand in my pocket for. Well done RNLI.

I admire them and anyone who put themselves at risk to help/rescue others. They are braver than I am.

I think this is the same area a young lad of 20 drowned about a month or so ago . His family were being carried away with the RIP tide he swam to rescue them sadly he was carried away and found about 4 days later . They all live in my town . I’ve never been to this beach and I wouldnt take my children there now I know

Coincidentally, on “Saving Lives At Sea” last night, film of a very similar incident at Perranporth, Cornwall, was shown.

A lovely sunny day - one minute, surfers are just offshore, paddling back - the next minute, 10 of them are being dragged out to sea by a flash-rip current. Luckily, the beach is well-served by RNLI lifeguards, who, having immediately spotted those in distress, launched both a boat and jet-ski and rescued them all - even though they’d only been in distress for seconds, some of the surfers came close to drowning because the current took them underwater … :scream:

You must have very different surfers to here. Surfers use rips to get out behind the breaks.

More info (missed in the OP):

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/19547057.rnli-lifeguards-rescue-group-17-off-bournemouth-pier/

Within minutes, nine lifeguards assisted the group. All 17 casualties were taken safely back ashore using rescue boards and a rescue water craft.

RNLI lifeguard supervisor Ethan Fox said: “Today’s rescue was a great team effort by the RNLI lifeguards, with every member of the team working together to assist all members of the group to safety.”

:023: