'Mass brawl' breaks out on P&O cruise ship Britannia

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49137520

The alleged fight took place as P&O’s Britannia returned to Southampton from a week-long trip to Norway’s fjords.

Good Morning Britain journalist Richard Gaisford, who was on board, said the violence occurred after a black-tie evening and an afternoon of “patriotic” partying on deck, when large amounts of alcohol were consumed.

He said one witness “explained to staff that things kicked off when another passenger appeared dressed as a clown. This upset one of their party because they’d specifically booked a cruise with no fancy dress. It led to a violent confrontation.”

The people suspected of being behind the violence were confined to a cabin for the last day of the cruise.

A P&O Cruises spokesman said: “Following an incident on board Britannia on Thursday evening we can confirm that all guests have now disembarked and the matter is now in the hands of the local police.”

Hampshire Police said its officers attended the ship when it docked in Southampton and investigations are ongoing.

The mere presence of clowns does affect some people negatively … :shock:

The Norway cruise? It’s not our very own OldGreyFox getting into bother again is it? Too many mugs of Yorkshire Tea Bob? :slight_smile:

“patriotic partying”

makes you proud to be British.

ffs

I hope no clowns were harmed in the making of this story.

Too right - they are nasty scary things. Wouldn’t make me descend to violence though - I would just run - very fast - in the opposite direction!

I hope they were all cast a drift in rowing boat - with no oars!

How can you get into a brawl over a clown for Gods sake?
I appreciate some people are nervous of them, but to the point of fighting because of it? :confused:

Must have been the booze talking, surely.

Makes me glad that I am not. I always thought that cruises were supposed to be refined and genteel. Not for drunks and/or chavs.:-D:-D:-D

You wouldn’t catch me on one, fancy dress or not, too many people in a confined space!
Eek and I hate c****s too! I’d jump overboard and I can’t swim!!! :shock:

Ah the good ship Britannia.

"Rule Britannia, Britannia rule the waves, Britons never, ever, shall be saved! :-p:-p:-p

Is OGF any relation to Slartibartfast who created the coastline of Norway? He got an award for his fjords.

How terrible for the other thousands of passengers. that is all you want after having a great cruise. Those responsible should have double the normal sentence as they could have endangered the ship.

:lol::lol::lol:
‘Clown sinks Ship’ it’s no joke says P&O

Latest:

Hampshire Police said its officers attended the ship when it docked in Southampton and investigations are ongoing.

A police spokeswoman said: “The incident took place during the early hours of Friday, 26 July, on board P&O’s Britannia while it was en route to Southampton from Bergen.”

She said three men and three women were assaulted, with their injuries including significant bruising and cuts.

The two people arrested - a man aged 43 and a 41-year-old woman, both from Chigwell, Essex - are in police custody.

Not exactly “mass”, then, but probably scary for those not involved … :103:

Ahh, Essex…that explains it… :lol:

If they had been gentlemen, the one(s) offended would simply have challenged the clown to a duel.
The clown, of course, would have been invited to choose the weapons.

That’s how it used to be done, anyway.

Yes, you know what’s coming. What weapons would you have chosen?

It will have been a snowflake no doubt who had nothing to be offended by when along came a clown

Tickling sticks at dawn

http://funninja.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Screen-Shot-2015-05-10-at-2.20.08-PM.png

Ah, but Chigwell … :

With Loughton and Buckhurst Hill, Chigwell is said to form part of the Essex “golden triangle” of wealthy places. It is home to footballers, TOWIE stars and Lord Alan Sugar himself.

It may not be “posh”, but it’s “loaded” … :wink:

Tut tut. You’d have been kicked out of the mess for flippancy.