Mash Potatoes - what is your favourite potato and recipe!?

Haven’t had potatoes for a while, but feel like a bit of mash - what’s your favourite potato variety and recipe?

Brown ones - peeled, mashed with butter and milk.

When my kids were young we used to make heaps then add cornflower and egg to the left over mash, make it into cakes and fry it.

2 Likes

nice idea, we used to add tinned salmon, haven’t done that in years.

1 Like

Arran Pilots, Kekr’s Pinks…

1 Like

Brown, peeled, mashed with lots of butter, then baked in an oven with a layer of cheese on top.

1 Like

Don’t have a favourite brand of potato but I love Cheesey Mash, my favourite way of having potatoes is making a big pot of Stovies.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/BoaHWvrbxwo

1 minute video: cheesy potato cake

1 Like
  • Take one portion of frozen instant mash, add butter and microwave until piping hot.
  • At the same time, warm up one Pukka steak and kidney pie.
  • Put the two together on a plate along with a vegetable of choice.
  • Add gravy.
2 Likes

Maris Piper potatoes for me, makes lovely mash. Roasties are my favourite! :potato:

1 Like

I just love mashed potatoes in general so, no specific preference but, of course it’s better with gravy :yum:

2 Likes

So very true!
I was working in a hospitality role yesterday, bangers and mash were on the menu, people LOVE gravy!!! :drooling_face:

The thing that put me off mash for quite a few years was having to eat it when I first started school and it had lumps in it… not good! :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

I always buy King Edwards when they’re available and I like bubble and squeak :yum:

1 Like

Lumpy mash is back in vogue. Some gourmet pubs restaurants are serving it … at a price.

2 Likes

I can only imagine… having said that I have experimented with mashing potato with the skin on, I just call it rustic, it can actually work :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

I often make potato fritters which are great baked in the oven, or fried if you prefer - works well both ways.
Grate together potato (Desiree’s are better for this recipe, but any type of spud will do) courgette and carrot, mix in an egg, season really well with whatever seasoning you prefer to use.

Divide into smallish fritters, and bake for about 25 mins in oven.

Yum!

1 Like

When I have pub food, I most often choose Cumberland sausage with mash and gravy if they are on the menu.

1 Like

Cumberland are my choice too mart… that slightly spicy flavour does if for me. You’re giving me ideas :drooling_face::+1:

1 Like

I’ve got Cumberland sausages in the freezer, maybe not as good as pub ones but they could be tomorrow’s dinner choice. :slight_smile:

1 Like