Marks & Spencer to close 25% of its large stores

Marks & Spencer‘ to close 25% of its large stores. Replacing with small M&S for food & a limited clothing range.
I can’t say I’m surprised.
I don’t remember the last time I went into M&S clothing and homeware store.
M&S woman’s fashion lost its way years ago , alienating its 30+ customers while trying to appeal to the younger generation who wouldn’t be seen dead shopping in M&S let alone wearing a Marks item .

Yes I shop with Ocado for M&S food , also I’ve bought M&S underwear online.

3 Likes

I have walked through M&S on the way to Primark.

1 Like

Very wise :wink:

1 Like

Our local M&S has a cheerful place to sit for a coffee …

2 Likes

I remember M & S with some affection however on my last visit to the UK I visited with the intention of buying a cardigan however I discovered I could buy three Chinese cardies in Australia for the cost of one Marks and Sparks one. Bugger the quality!

1 Like

Nice, but they’re not going to give you a cup and saucer or a teapot any more, just a mug :frowning:

1 Like

I’m not surprised, really, their food is the best thing they do and they are very expensive for everything else

Plus I think a lot of their clothes are really ugly!

The big in in Bristol has been gone a long time, and the one in our nearby seaside town, but they do have a food outlet one there which is thriving. The nearest one to me is in a big , out of town shopping mall.

It’s a shame really, because M&S have always been a good employer, providing well paid jobs with good conditions and they just gave their employees a second pay rise and gift voucher to help with the cost of living

2 Likes

They are good employers. Being a family member, I have access (legitimately) to the discount my daughter gets as an employee.

4 Likes

Yes, good jobs with fair pay, hours, conditions and perks are becoming a rarity now, especially in retail :frowning:

Enjoy your discount, I bet you have a splendid collection everlasting undies :wink:

2 Likes

Well they do say if your feet are cold, wear a hat. As I don’t have a hat, a bundle of panties has to suffice. My ears are cold though, and other drivers give me a funny look.

3 Likes

My Son loves M&S food, he also likes the deals…:+1:

2 Likes

Eh!!..what you on,Dex, :sweat_smile::joy::rofl:

1 Like

M&S has been gone from my high street for many a year, and has become a food hall only further down the road in a retail park. Needless to say I don’t go there now. The big M&S in town is rubbish (just my opinion)

2 Likes

Has someone written a shop review on here about M&S? Am sure there’s a section for them, and Azz was going to calculate star ratings.

1 Like

It’s a shame but their clothes are old fash, cheap looking and of inferior quality.

I think, l will just stick to their food.

1 Like

I remember M&S in Bournemouth centre very well ,used to holiday in that resort twice a year . Bought our takeaway lunch items from their vast array of sandwiches and other goodies . Holiday clothes were worth looking at in those days .
I shop online now with Ocado so no need to go into the nearest M&SFood and I buy my knickers online too .

1 Like

Zuleika, Would that be your thongs? Or, your three peggers Bridget Jones knickers, like me? !!:laughing:

1 Like

Neither Art. They’re not just " any " knickers , I look for . None of your assorted 5 packs , I need full briefs , high leg with lace edging and believe me they’re like gold dust these days .
I don’t believe you wear BJ big knickers btw :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I used to shop at M&S… until I discovered Waitrose, where I felt the food was better in quality and because they were very vocal of their self-imposed bans on certain pesticides and fertilisers.

The staff were brilliant in M&S, and the food was pretty good too - but even though it was a large store (Cardiff) the range was very small imo, Waitrose just had more and more organic stuff (including non-food organics).

1 Like

I like their clothes. Does that make me old fashioned, cheap and inferior? Be kind, and break it to me gently.

2 Likes