Many people mourn the loss of iconic entertainers

These entertainers had support from some incredible back up session players.
Lasse Wellander was the main guitarist for Swedish super group ABBA.
He died 12 months ago today, 7th April 2023.

Lasse Wellander started his guitar playing career in the early 60’s.
Later, he started playing with a group from Örebro called Blues Quality. When that band split up, the remaining members became the nucleus of Nature, which was the backing band on Polar-recording artist Ted Gärdestad’s summer tour of 1973, 1974 and 1976.
That’s how Lasse came to know Björn and Benny.
His first ABBA session was in October 1974 when Intermezzo No.1 and Crazy World were recorded. Lasse soon became the main guitarist on ABBA’s albums, and toured with them in 1975, 1977, 1979 and 1980.
He continued working with Björn and Benny in the post-ABBA period. He appeared on the Chess concept album, the two Gemini albums, the 1993 Josefin Nilsson album Shapes and on the soundtracks to Mamma Mia! The Movie and its sequel, Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again.
Lasse also played on the Agnetha Fältskog albums Wrap Your Arms Around Me from 1983 and My Colouring Book from 2004 and on the ABBA album Voyage released in 2021.

Besides being one of the most frequently used Swedish session musicians, Lasse has also released seven solo albums, two of which entered the Top 40 album charts in the mid-1980s. In 1992, he had a big radio hit with his instrumental version of the Chess song Anthem. In 2005, he received the Albin Hagström Memorial Award from The Royal Swedish Academy of Music and, in 2018, the Swedish Musicians Union’s prestigious special prize Studioräven Award for his work as a session musician. In 2017, Lasse recorded and produced new music under his own name again.
** Lasse Wellander - In the Hall of the Mountain King​**

2 Likes

I feel that was a really good way today to celebrate his life with your Memorian…
Without distracting from your post this list published on the ‘internet’ is just basic life and death details but one for me stands out as a Who Fan,Keith Moon he sure did have a mixed lifestyle and it certainly was not all bad.

Cheers for writing that up, Dianne

1 Like

I feel like I’m missing something here.

I remember the group ABBA. That feels like a long time ago.

1 Like

Abba were bigger than big,although not my sort of music, the girls were OK :grinning:
Two who may not actually be mourned by many but were a big influence especially in the 60’s would be Ike Turner and Phil Spector.

2 Likes

Its hard to mourn anyone who has done well out of this life, lets mourn the millions of none descripts who have passed on, whilst struggling.

2 Likes

ABBA won Eurovision in 1974 (It was on the radio quiz this morning).

Oh, happy days! when the SBS televised Eurovision and took the piss for the entire broadcast.

2 Likes

Terry Wogan on the BBC could do that too.
: “It’s supposed to be bad. And the worse it is, the more fun it is.”

That is a fair view but you know that life does not work that way. I mean take Louis XIV King but not worthy of a Crown…he was responsible for thousands of murders and yet he stayed in Power without issues… and a long reign he had as well
…Nobody looks down their noses at him in general and he deserves to be remembered as A Murderer…that was a long time ago Spits…people have not changed really in that way is my belief.

1 Like

Dianne, you speak from a Societal position, I speak from a non-integrated hypothetical group perspective.

[quote=“spitfire, post:9, topic:103342”]
non-integrated hypothetical group perspective.
[/quote
]For me with dyslexia as a hurdle I have not really understood your phrasing Spits…
I do get some of your assumptions as I quoted something that upsets me a deal

I find it easy to mourn anyone, who despite having had a really bad start in life, has managed to achieve a better life, and is doing very well as a result of hard work and sacrifice.

If someone is successful in life, i wouldn’t know what it cost them to achieve that success, unless i know their back story.

@Bretrick As great as ABBA were and to some extent, still are, they utilized Phil Spector’s Wall of Sound to great effect.
Wall of Sound - Wikipedia

2 Likes

Loved the wall of sound

1 Like