Manifest [tv show]

I’m on episode 3 of Manifest. I only started watching because I was testing out Netflix on my phone. It was playing in the background. Within the first few minutes, I was hooked.

The show reminds me of Lost in several ways. First because I was hooked in the same random way. Second because it’s about a plane full of people who went through something together. The idea of strangers linked by something random is intriguing. Third because the show has cliff hangers that lead me to the next episode to find out what happens, making it binge watch worthy. I also like the unexplained mysteries. The first couple have ended in a satisfying way.

Anyone else watch Manifest?

I stopped watching after series two. It just got so tedious, and the acting was really abysmal. The concept was good, people disappearing for years, then remerging, but they should have ended the story before series three. Some programmes just go on too long, The Walking Dead for example. :grimacing:

1 Like

I just talked with someone who said the exact same thing. I’m forewarned that season 3 goes downhill. Thanks for the heads up. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Didn’t they just stop the show unexpectedly? I watched a lot of S1 but found other stuff to watch.

1 Like

Manifest is still going. NBC cancelled after 3 seasons but Netflix picked it up for a final season. 10 episodes were released in Nov 2022 and 10 more are scheduled for April 2023.

The wiki says that viewership went up after Netflix took over. I’m curious to see how that went.

I’ve been watching this and have seen up to the latest episode on Netflix.

My first thoughts was this falls in the same genre as Lost, but as the series has progressed, it just gets more bizarre as it goes on. The last 10 episodes of season 4 gives me the impression that the writers don’t know what to do with the story, as very little happens with even less explanation and what strange things do happen, everyone seems to accept what’s happening without remotely questioning it. Perhaps this will resolve itself in the upcoming episodes.

I just hope this doesn’t fall into the same level as Lost and several other similar series where there is no real ending or explanation as to what is going on and the writers seem to have not thought it through or tried come up with a decent story finale to give the series a decent closure, which doesn’t leave the viewer with a sense of disappointment and that they have wasted their time watching it.

1 Like

After a few days of binge watching Manifest (and loving it), I’m now starting season 3. I’ve read and talked to several people who said that season 3 goes downhill. I’m interested to see how it goes.

I was one of the only people I know who was ok with the ending of Lost, so I might be good with this.

Spoilers for Lost

If that whole thing (Lost) got tied up with a pretty bow, I would have been disappointed with my imagination. Once there are so many splintered timelines and unreality based events, there’s no way to tie them all together. If there was, it would have to be something hokey like they were all dreaming, so I was good with how it ended.

I gave up on it half way through season one which I’m surprised about because I was really looking forward to it but it didn’t live up to expectations for me…loving The Last of Us…

1 Like

I’ve finished watching season 3 and halfway through the first part of season 4. I can see why people were disappointed by season 3.

Spoilers

The protagonist became erratic and the Bible was brought into the story. The drama level was taken to a high pitch.

Maybe because I was prepared, it was ok for me.

This was a fun series for me. I’m starting to look for another series to binge watch.

I’m caught up to the end of part 1 of season 4 of Manifest. As I was watching the last bit, I wish that I had waited to watch season 4 until the second part was out. Now I’m left on a cliffhanger. Binge watching is so much more satisfying when you know there’s an end, at least for me.

All of us who watched it are all waiting for the next part, Butterscotch. :grinning:

1 Like

I should have taken some warnings from the people who are wondering how the next part will turn out. At the end of season 3, the network probably thought that might be the end so the cliffhanger was more vague.

I think there’s some difference in the US and UK how these series get funded. It seems like in the UK, many shows are fully funded from the start. In the US, shows are funded as they go along, depending on viewership. That’s why the arc of shows sometimes get messed up. They never know if there will be more episodes until the network gauges audience numbers. Netflix works in batches which is a little different. Networks generally work in seasons, but can pull the plug mid-season sometimes. Just my observations from watching how some of these shows get cancelled.

1 Like

I just saw on Netflix that season 4 of Manifest is now playing. On first look, this appears to be the final season. Nice that it has 20 episodes.

We, daughter & I, finished watching this last series a few days ago & I correctly guessed exactly how it would end, bit of let down actually. Won’t say any more, don’t want to spoil it but I think most will guess the same as I did as well.

1 Like

I note season 4 has completed…so I must watch episodes 11 to 20.

1 Like

We are on episode 7. There’s a series 1 and a series 4 on my Netflix. No S2 or S3.

It’s one of those shows not to be taken seriously. Try that and you’ll be disappointed.

That must be frustrating without season 2 and 3. It’s one of those shows that each episode adds a piece of the story, so a lot of the puzzle will be missing in the middle. It’s not like some of the crime shows where each episode is self contained. It’s more like Lost in that the story changes with each new development.

We might just give up on it at the end of series 1, see how it goes.

1 Like

I did watch it all …and it sort of set up a possible spin off.
Who knows if such a thing would happen?
But it could work.

thought S1 was pretty good fun. FFW S4 E2 pulled the plug … they’re wasting my time :wink: