Manage Your Gas & Electricity Price Increases?

I have never had any problems. Energy bills are going to be high enough without paying any extra.

For anybody interested this gives details how the different energy companies work out their direct debits. I learnt from this that my energy company (Ovo) will be paying the £66 a month into my bank account not deducting it from my bill which I thought they would be doing so will have to up my DD by this amount:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/energy-direct-debits/?utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=06-Sep-22-ac49a383c7a4f68a220-6317a5005eafbbdba7204dab136505bc&source=CRM-MSETIP-ac49a383c7a4f68a220&utm_campaign=nt-bignote-one&utm_content=7

1 Like

Thanks for that link, @wendeey

According to that list, the energy company I use (SO) will be reducing my DDR payments by the monthly £66 - I only pay £82 pm at present anyway, so I hope they will be recalculating my monthly DDR and increasing it soon!

I’ve been trying to increase my monthly DDR for the last few weeks but their system won’t let me increase my payments while my account is in credit. It’s good that they are not trying to hang on to too much of money but my credit balance is only £200 and I would rather start increased payments now because I know it will have to be increased soon anyway.

For anybody interested:

i just turn things on and off as and when required :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Everyone is going “Power Crazy”.

Well the Scottish Power App on my phone has been changed so that all I can do is submit the readings now and they change my bill accordingly. If I want a breakdown, I have to go onto my account via the website. Sneaky people, I’m telling you…:angry:

Like many folk, I have been busy looking at ways I can reduce my energy bills this coming Winter and I have changed a few habits to economise where I can.
Now I have just received the new calculation of my estimated energy bills based on the new tariff and the amount of gas and electricity I used in the last year.
I wasn’t being particularly frugal with energy usage last year, so I expected quite a big increase in my monthly Direct Debit. To my surprise, the Government energy rebate of £66 fully covers the price rise - in fact, the energy company have reduced my DDR from £82 per month down to £79 per month.
If the Government rebate covers the price hike this Winter and I still have the extra money that all pensioners will receive for Winter heating allowance + Cost of Living allowance, totalling another £500 for single pensioners, that has made me feel a lot less worry about getting through the Winter - not sure what will happen when the 6 month energy rebate payments end but we’ll have to see what’s happening to energy prices by then.

Obviously the Government rebate won’t cover the increase in energy bills for every household - it won’t cover the price hike for larger households with more people - but for single people or couples living in small homes and apartments, who normally have a lower than national average energy usage, this rebate may be enough to cover this Winter without them having to sit in the cold or pay any more than they already have been.

A couple of months ago, at the suggestion of Bulb, we reduced our payments from 235pcm to 210pcm. After the tariff change a week ago, and after the 66 payment from the government (ie the extremely wealthy as it’ll all be trickling down from them…thanks fatcat fellas), we’ve had to put it back up to 235. Doesnt soind too bad, were it not for the fact that this time last year it was 135pcm and we’ve made usage reductions since then (eg boiler flicked on for sporadic hour to take the chill off, getting rid of tumble drier).

As with all things, even if the cost of fuel to the energy suppliers fell to below what they were 12 months ago, the price will never revert to what it once was for us.

1 Like

What a change to read such a sensible analysis instead of all the moans.

2 Likes

My energy bill went up from £148 to £295 per month. I was absolutely distraught & felt like I’d been cheated. Nobody else’s had gone up so much & I couldn’t understand why.

However at my last statement I was £765 in credit so I applied to E-on for a rebate of the money.
They said the money would be paid into my bank account within 10days…

This money has paid for a Twixtmas break at Warner’s for Tony & me.
Not feeling so glum now. :blush:

2 Likes

Are you glad now, you joined the Bank of E-on.

Yes I am. Hopefully I will be in credit all winter. I now have an economical combi boiler & I don’t use my tumble dryer half so much.

It’s taken me a long time to care about how much energy I use but now I’m a bit fanatic about saving it where I can.

2 Likes

chat.line

1 Like

Halloween scare people show them you power bill

I heat only the room I’m in, or the room I’ll be going into, later. No other room is heated, and certainly not the hall, stairs and landing. There’s little point in heating up an area that size if all you’re going to do is walk to somewhere else, through it.

I use electric heaters, only.

1 Like

I live in a flat so have to walk through all rooms which is why I run all rads on my system and run my heating 24/7 in winter,

1 Like

If we get cold this winter its all round to yours for a warm then Zuleika?..
:sunglasses:

1 Like

You’d be welcome but there could be a sudden power cut

I’ll bring candles… :nerd_face: