Man told he could keep £110k that landed in his account - then ordered to pay it back

I’m your Shield Finder & Polisher…without me, you would be nothing…nothing I tell ya! :shield:

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::innocent::zipper_mouth_face: not saying another word

Look what happened the last time you ‘polished my shield’

Sorry I’m in danger of derailing your thread :joy:

2 Likes

You derailed it when you bombed off to the Cayman Islands with your fortune, matey! :joy:

3 Likes

I was always taught that, if you find a fiver, in the street, someone else has lost it.

The bloke, in this posting, seems not to understand that principle.

He must have has a very strange way of accounting!

1 Like

But Ted…the bank told him it was his to keep…the guy DID query it a few times, because he knew it wasn’t his. The bank said it must be some sort of inheritance :joy:

1 Like

I would question it a thousand times. Because inheritance or not, how would the payer know his bank account details, unless he had given them out here, there and everywhere? Do YOU tell everyone your account number and sort code? I don’t…only to those who ask and need it. And could not the bank have, on his questioning, approached the payer and wondered ‘have you perhaps made a mistake here? Who is your intended payee?

I would question (as people have suggested), where was solicitor’s correspondence in all this. Who died and left the money.

It wasn’t his money to spend.

1 Like

:woman_shrugging: I don’t know, Jazzi…its an awful lot of money for someone to land in your account isn’t it? Maybe it was just shock…that’s why he just asked the bank. I mean, if the bank tell you its yours and to keep it, and you don’t hear anything for over 9 months…thats a long time for a mistake to lie unnoticed, isn’t it…

I wasn’t aware of how long he had kept it, haven’t read the article (seems enough info on social media and this headline). But really, who is gullible enough to accept an unknown credit like that?

I was once overpaid my salary by over a few grand, when I opened my payslip, and soon trotted into the personnel office, to tell the lady who had done all the salaries. Didn’t get a thank you for being honest, if I remember correctly.

1 Like

Well I bet you are glad you did the right thing at the time…it would have been found out later. I would do the same (after I had taken a photo of the payslip for posterity!)

I do not know how accurate the story was. But I remember reading a story many years ago, where someone was incorrectly sent some money by bank transfer.

He knew it was not his. So he closed his account, opened one at a new bank. Put the money wrongly transferred into a separate high interest account & sent his old bank a letter saying what had happened & that he was keeping the money safe. That is away from them & would happily return it. But that inline with the banks own policies, he required 1 months notice & all letters, including this one, would be charged at £25. Plus, there would be a very reasonable 1% fee for transfer of the money back to them. He also gave them 3 months to sort everything out, including payment of all bills or costs would escalate, to a higher level, to cover the effort involved in correcting the error.

As I remember the story he got what he wanted. But I know the law changed a few years ago, to make it easier to get money back when wrong transferred.

1 Like

Regardless of what the bank said the money undoubtedly belonged to someone and I could not ‘accept’ the mistake.
I would have put the money into a separate account to await the mistake being uncovered .

1 Like

The bank had no option. The law changed a few years ago & they have a duty to return it. Even where the receiver disputes it. The case must be resolved within a few weeks at most.

I know, Meg…you wouldn’t go and buy a house with it! :open_mouth:

I can understand them taking the money back, I’d have been expecting it but why did they take the extra £6 grand? That should not have happened.

@Rox , Transfer fees Rox, that’s how banks make their money !!
Just passing money over the banks counter costs money !!
Donkeyman! :-1::frowning::-1:

1 Like

Exactly … no one with a bit of commonsense would happily accept 110k into their bank account without making sure he was entitled to it. He must have thought fantastic …keep quiet.

He should have paid a solicitor, even if it cost him a grand, to check out this inheritance. You don’t take chances with that kind of lucky windfall. Get something official for future protection.

Besides, inheritances like that come direct from the solicitor or executor handling probate, not from the financial institution you happen to bank with. I’d have wondered then who had possession of my bank details to transfer such a sum over to me… and at least ask the bank the kind donor’s name.

He’s trying it on now … he’ll be doing a go fund me page next.

I paid a cheque into my account years ago that got lost … it wasn’t 110k but it was enough. I chased Barclays up, showed the proof in my paying in book and they reimbursed me out of a fund they apparently keep for transaction errors … because as they explained, someone else had had my money and they would have to trace it to sort it out. It’s usually sorting code errors that come unstuck on digital transactions.

Either he should have got/ should now produce something legal entitling him to this money or just say … ‘fair cop’ … though he shouldn’t have to pay 6k on top. Genuine error, not his fault. Arrange an affordable repayment plan. I doubt any court in the land would see him destitute.

From another angle it makes a mockery of anyone who suffered a financial loss through no fault of their own such as some devious scam and never get their own hard earned money back.

He’ll need to do something for that new house he’s taken to refurbishing! :joy: I wonder if he thought buying a house would somehow tie the money up so tight that the bank couldn’t get it back? :thinking:

Someone doing the Laundering may have got confused.

1 Like

But in September a customer of his former business rang him up and confessed he’d been the one to accidentally give the money to him.

Yahoo News

So now we know whose money it really was.

The guy must have known it w as they his I mean if you have a rich relative or not.
Havinf said that Barclays is a rubbish bank and they must take some culpability