Man told he could keep £110k that landed in his account - then ordered to pay it back

A handyman who was accidentally transferred £110,000 into his account and told to keep out has been left shattered after the money is taken out of his account.

Russell Alexander, 54, from Sutton, Norfolk, was wrongly told he could keep the large sum of money after started mysteriously appearing in his account.

Russell immediately discussed the mysterious transactions with Barclays and was wrongly told the money was from an inheritance and his to keep.

• poor man! :frowning:
2 Likes

He should have immediately transferred it to another financial institution where Barclays couldn’t get to it.

3 Likes

He bought a house to do up, and now he can’t afford it! I think its wrong actually…the bak made a mistake, they should at least let him keep it after all that time! Plus they took an extra £6,000! WTH??

1 Like

Yes literally.
I would have wanted the assurance in writing that the money was indeed mine to keep.
I would have questioned it especially if you knew you had no inheritance coming in.
No such thing as free money🙂

3 Likes

He has the proof that the bank said he could keep it…the bank themselves acknowledge the mistake made in telling him this, so the onus is on them to rectify it, not the poor guy. He did question it a few times, after all…he didn’t just take the money and run…

1 Like

Yes sorry, he did contact the bank, missed that. But still not clear to me that he had actual written proof that he could keep it.
Now going to transfer my windfall to the Cayman isles before anyone gets there hands on it :joy:

2 Likes

Written proof or not, I doubt it would make any difference now, Chillie…the bank are clawing it all back and then some :cry:

Oh…remember who your friends are…:+1: :wink:

2 Likes

Yes they were wrong to take his £6000 as well incompetence comes to mind

Sorry but who are you again? :innocent:

2 Likes

I’m your Shield Finder & Polisher…without me, you would be nothing…nothing I tell ya! :shield:

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::innocent::zipper_mouth_face: not saying another word

Look what happened the last time you ‘polished my shield’

Sorry I’m in danger of derailing your thread :joy:

2 Likes

You derailed it when you bombed off to the Cayman Islands with your fortune, matey! :joy:

3 Likes

I was always taught that, if you find a fiver, in the street, someone else has lost it.

The bloke, in this posting, seems not to understand that principle.

He must have has a very strange way of accounting!

1 Like

But Ted…the bank told him it was his to keep…the guy DID query it a few times, because he knew it wasn’t his. The bank said it must be some sort of inheritance :joy:

1 Like

I would question it a thousand times. Because inheritance or not, how would the payer know his bank account details, unless he had given them out here, there and everywhere? Do YOU tell everyone your account number and sort code? I don’t…only to those who ask and need it. And could not the bank have, on his questioning, approached the payer and wondered ‘have you perhaps made a mistake here? Who is your intended payee?

I would question (as people have suggested), where was solicitor’s correspondence in all this. Who died and left the money.

It wasn’t his money to spend.

1 Like

:woman_shrugging: I don’t know, Jazzi…its an awful lot of money for someone to land in your account isn’t it? Maybe it was just shock…that’s why he just asked the bank. I mean, if the bank tell you its yours and to keep it, and you don’t hear anything for over 9 months…thats a long time for a mistake to lie unnoticed, isn’t it…

I wasn’t aware of how long he had kept it, haven’t read the article (seems enough info on social media and this headline). But really, who is gullible enough to accept an unknown credit like that?

I was once overpaid my salary by over a few grand, when I opened my payslip, and soon trotted into the personnel office, to tell the lady who had done all the salaries. Didn’t get a thank you for being honest, if I remember correctly.

1 Like

Well I bet you are glad you did the right thing at the time…it would have been found out later. I would do the same (after I had taken a photo of the payslip for posterity!)

I do not know how accurate the story was. But I remember reading a story many years ago, where someone was incorrectly sent some money by bank transfer.

He knew it was not his. So he closed his account, opened one at a new bank. Put the money wrongly transferred into a separate high interest account & sent his old bank a letter saying what had happened & that he was keeping the money safe. That is away from them & would happily return it. But that inline with the banks own policies, he required 1 months notice & all letters, including this one, would be charged at £25. Plus, there would be a very reasonable 1% fee for transfer of the money back to them. He also gave them 3 months to sort everything out, including payment of all bills or costs would escalate, to a higher level, to cover the effort involved in correcting the error.

As I remember the story he got what he wanted. But I know the law changed a few years ago, to make it easier to get money back when wrong transferred.

1 Like

Regardless of what the bank said the money undoubtedly belonged to someone and I could not ‘accept’ the mistake.
I would have put the money into a separate account to await the mistake being uncovered .

1 Like

The bank had no option. The law changed a few years ago & they have a duty to return it. Even where the receiver disputes it. The case must be resolved within a few weeks at most.