Man driving 870 miles in world's smallest car

This one is an oddity … I can honestly say I’ve never heard of or seen this car before.

I wonder how many miles to the gallon it does … it’d made a dinky electric car except I wouldn’t be seen dead in it. Well, obviously, it’s a tad small for a hearse.

2 Likes

It is small,I wouldn’t feel safe in that.
A friend of mine had a 3wheel Messerchmitt bubble car which looked a bit bigger.I was never brave enough to ride in it.

I can remember those with the 3 gear 49cc single cylinder air cooled engine. Clarkson had one running about in one of the old Top Gear programmes.

1 Like

Crumbs … I can vaguely remember bubble cars now. Did people really believe they looked cool .

He’s welcome to it…I bet he’ll be aching for a long time after that jaunt

I’ve just spotted …

137cm long and 120cm high.

Is he going on the motorway in it :rofl: at 4 foot high he’ll drive straight under any artic lorries.

The Isetta bubble cars were cool. The whole front of the car used to open so that you could get in.

2 Likes

Did you have one?

No. Was a bit too young in the 60s :smiley:
Wouldn’t have minded one, though.

How on earth did he get in and out of that! :astonished:

With more than a little difficulty?
:thinking:

1 Like

No reverse gear, as if they had a reverse gear that meant it needed a car licence, but no reverse gear & 3 wheels was a motorbike. Then add in, the fact the front of the car was it’s door & that equalled one or two embarrassing moments. As people would drive into a garage & then not be able to open the door, or reverse out.

2 Likes

That was OK but weren’t they the ones where people who forgot the way the door opened, were imprisoned in the car if they drove too close to something in front? They had no reverse gear. That could well have been the other one of similar design though, the Heinkel.
:upside_down_face: :grinning:

Edited to add: I see Gee3 beat me to it with that information – great minds think alike and all that!

2 Likes

and they showed him on bbc breakfast … collapsing in a heap.

He came past our track end on Saturday. Things tiny, hope he only does daylight driving or he will be in bother on that A9.

At 49cc I don’t think it is allowed on motorways.

If he is expecting to take up to 3 weeks to cover 870 miles, that is an average of 40 miles per day!!! I can walk that.

A shame. :rofl:

I think it would be dangerous.

I do too. Fatal even, I was feeling a little impish and joking.