Man crushed by telescopic urinal in central London dies

Pop-up toilets are stored beneath the ground and brought to street level at night for people to use.

A man died after he was crushed and trapped underneath a telescopic public urinal while working on the device in central London. He was pronounced dead at the scene at Cambridge Circus during a rescue effort at the junction between Shaftesbury Avenue and Charing Cross Road. Emergency crews were sent to the scene at 13:05 GMT. Four fire engines and about 25 firefighters were deployed. Fire crews used a winch to free the man. He was released from the urinal by 15:40, London Fire Brigade said.

The telescopic urinal is close to the Palace Theatre, home to Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

What an awful way to die … :scream:

I hope that it was quick but I suspect that it wasn’t … :frowning_face:

One of my worst nightmares.I’m scared of all those automatic toilets.Even if I’m desperate I would never go in one.

What a way to go…:frowning:

How awful, the poor man.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the pop up ones, just the ones that are permanently there but automatically close and clean themselves

I wouldn’t even use those, far too claustrophobic

It is a clever idea if it’s supposed to stop people peeing on the street, I suppose, but the dangerous potential was always there