Making Gonks

We’ve been very into making these gonks at craft club, it really easy if you fancy a go

I branched out and did a Halloween one

5 Likes

There has been a winter Gonk in my household for several years that was home knitted.

4 Likes

That’s a good ‘un! :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Your Gonks are cute and would make great decorations to attach to gift wrapped pressies.

My memories of knitted Gonks are of soft toys which are much bigger than this.
Back in the 1960s, I remember my Mum helping my Sister and I to knit Gonks from a pattern that was “all the rage” back in those days - we knitted lots of them - some turned out skinny, some fat - all with different “outfits”, hairstyles and facial features.
I don’t have any of our old Gonks left, but I found some pics and a pattern to knit them from, just to give you an idea of what they were like.

1 Like

That brings back memories, my mum used to knit those, and also make fabric ones like these

You’re right, those were the original gonks!

I don’t know how this modern lot got to be called gonks but I think they’re more like gnomes

2 Likes

Look, there was even a Gonks film in 1964, Gonks go Beat :rofl:

1 Like

Are Gonks the same as Trolls?

1 Like

I’ve never heard of them but they look really cute. I don’t think the name would have gone over well when I was young.

1 Like

Why, does it mean something different in the US?

It’s close enough to an ethnic slur that I don’t think it would have gone over well.

1 Like

Oh my goodness!

1 Like