Making a splendid effort to honour those who made the ultimate sacrifice

l

l

Fantastic poppy display ready for remembrance day on the roof above the main entrance gate at All Saints Church in Birchington. This was made by some very clever ladies that live in the village.

Another display for Remembrance Sunday, 12 November 2023

5 Likes

Our local church usually puts on a good display Cinders…

5 Likes

That lych-gate roof looks stunning.
Are all those poppies knitted or crocheted?

There must have been a lot of time and effort gone into creating it - a splendid effort, indeed. :+1:

We will remember them.

2 Likes

Knitted.Free poppy knitting pattern: how to knit a poppy | Gathered | Gathered

1 Like

Yes, we will, but there are those amongst us who will not and never will, despite the freedom they enjoy today because of their supreme sacrifice.

4 Likes

I do believe they were all knitted Boot, we have lots of ladies in the village who will decorate post boxes and other street furniture at the drop of a hat…A knitted hat of course…
:grin:

1 Like

Yes, we have a lot of volunteers who make poppies for our Village War Memorial Garden too.
I am one of them.

We have different displays each year - some of our poppies are knitted and some are crocheted - which is why I was asking if that stunning display of poppies on the lych-gate roof were knitted or crocheted.

This was a year when each person made poppies for individually named War Heroes from our village and surrounding area.
Reading the names of those young men, the village they had lived in and their age when they were killed was very poignant.

3 Likes

2 Likes

It wouldn’t be true to say that 11th November is not remembered here but it is a very small affair compared to Anzac Day in April.

There is an event at the National War Memorial in Canberra and the RSLs usually have something special but, as I say, nothing compared to Anzac Day…

https://anzacportal.dva.gov.au/commemoration/days/remembrance-day

1 Like

Delightful story and we need to remember them all.

3 Likes

A young friend of mine with a poppy painting he did and an appeal stand he set up and manned

(Cut his head off cos he’s shy!)

1 Like

A little town called Ungarie has a RSL Memorial Park

1 Like

And Ungarie should be rightly proud of this tribute, a visual gift for future generations to learn about the part brave Australians made with other nationals.