Macrame - any of you had a go at it?

Have any of you had a go at this?

One of my neighbours was sorting things out for the Charity collectors and came across an unboxed kit she has had lurking in her in wardrobe since 1979!! She thought I might like to give it a try.

Just looked at the instructions (the stuff nightmares are made from) and realised I will have to learn a whole new language - the language of knots!

Larks heads,
Half hitches
Whips
Double flats
Accumulating double half hitches

I need a cup, or three, of strong tea!:-D:-D

1 Like

If it’s brand new and still in the box then leave it! Get it to an auction where an avid collector of such things will likely pay a pretty penny for such a rare item. :slight_smile:

But my fingers are itching, Barry!

Then bite you nails until it wears off… :lol:

Larks heads,
Half hitches
Whips
Double flats
Accumulating double half hitches

Are you sure it’s a Macrame kit? :shock: Do the instructions mention anything about putting car keys in a fruit bowl?

Do you have a Hogwarts Time Turner? I can’t see how else you could find time to learn new skills and take on yet more projects on top of the ones you already have.

Get knotting, Tabby! I can’t do anything fancy, just a basic net type thing for hanging a plant basket, but have a go, its fun :smiley:

I would definitely be up for having a go Tabby! Funnily enough I was looking at simple pictorial beginners instructions in a magazine on Readly the other day. Course, I can’t remember which magazine it was, so that’s no help. But I did think I might like to try it sometime. Just because.

Absolutely have a go!! You can’t leave this stone unturned ( or at least I couldn’t lol)

I went on a little morning course at our community arts project place today, two hours with free coffee :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

They showed us how to make a twist and a feather

It was fun, but I wasn’t much good at it so I don’t think I’ll be taking it up!

Any of you do it?

My friends wall hanging she made, she’s the expert!

2 Likes

Yes I did! 1976 to 1978. It was the super craze of the time. During my participation in our local community “Arts and Crafts” group, every Saturday morning at the centre due to my age at the time and skills, I was welcomed in both categories.

The Youngones (under 18) I became a teacher to the munchkins. Macrame, embroidery (aka cross-stitch), knitting, crochet even clothes pin rocking chairs. In the Olderones (18+) it was all mentioned before and added pottery.

Every Thursday, we had a sale in our local mall.

Macrame: my most popular items were the flower pots hanging features with glass inserts; dog leashes and owls wall hangings.

I still have the frog special scrub sponge holder I made in 1978 within the pottery class.

We have to pass on these wonderful skills to the next generation, yes?

1 Like

It is very clever, I remember it from back then too, but I never tried it. I did make friendship bracelets, though and the knotting was a bit similar

It sounds as if you did a good job with the little ones, doing these crafts can be very joyful and good for the soul

Except mine, because I was a bit rubbish at it! :rofl:

1 Like

Nah don’t be silly… The amount of hours you have to learn it… Back then I had the time, these days. Nope!

I just got good at it after you finish 55 projects for others to shine.

Thank you for getting me the appreciation I never received back then. Cheers!

1 Like