Maccas Accused of Wage Theft

McDonald’s is facing a fresh legal battle launched by the fast food workers union for allegedly refusing to grant entitled rest breaks to 250,000 employees across Australia.

Workers across nearly 1000 current and former McDonald’s locations were allegedly not informed of their rest break entitlements. Some workers were allegedly offered free soft drinks or short toilet breaks instead of their entitled 10-minute break.

Why am i not suprised ?.
Large companys seem to think they can treat staff how they like,and your supposed to feel gratefull you have a job, yeh right.
I hope the workers win big time and get what they are due.

1 Like

@Bruce , How would a “short toilet break” be quantified l wonder ?? :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Maccas only employs people under 21 and usually under 18 because of their lower wages, these kids have little if any experience in the workplace and don’t know what they are entitled to. Reading awards to find out their entitlements is not something kids are likely to do.

Pay rates are only a small part of an award.

The Maccas near me is open 24hours so there are also shift penalty rates to be added

1 Like

I forgot to add that the Abbott government managed to change the award for hospitality workers. In all other industries Saturday work attracts a 50% loading and Sunday 100% loading (ie double time) but for hospitality workers this was reduced to 25%.

I still find it hard to believe that Fairwork Australia accepted this.