M25! You Can Have IT!

Spent 3 hours, in total, on the M25 yesterday.

Pouring rain, Huge Lorries jockeying for position, changing lanes, like racehorses looking to get ahead, Rain water being thrown up, by their wheels, making visibility almost nil.

They can have it!

It’s a 4 lanes, each, way, nightmare of an accident waiting to happen.

Rant over!

Oh! Let’s not talk about the “safe” breakdown areas!

:cry:

1 Like

How awful I would have hated it . I really dont like motorway driving , worse now I’m older and I drive a mini . Last time on M3 I was between two huge lorries and lorries on either side of me it was scarey I can tell you .

I can have it?
How generous of you, but no thank you.
There are a few really awful motorways here in England but the M25 has to be the worst of the lot.

Motorways are (almost) my worst nightmare … :scream_cat:

Although in past I was a frequent user, nowadays I rarely use them … :-1:

File photo dated 02/11/59 of Britain’s first full length motorway, the M1, taken near to the Luton spur. The first section of the 193-mile road was officially opened by the then Minister of Transport, Ernest Marples, on November 2 1959. That first 62-mile stretch ran from what is now junction 5 near Watford in Hertfordshire to what is now junction 18 near Rugby in the West Midlands.

As an HGV driver I used to spend hours on motorways & never found the M25 to be as bad as the M6. Especially at night. Drive the M6 at any time of day, on any day of the week & it is reasonably busy. Drive the M25 on a Sunday evening at around midnight & you hardly see any traffic.

I have been stationary on several motorways for 30 minutes plus & in intermittently moving traffic on most. But the southern section of the M60 on a Saturday afternoon can compete with most when it comes to congestion & slow moving traffic.

Here in Norfolk we have no motorways, so they created the following. two country lanes side by side. It is a few miles outside of Wroxam.

Making Time:

:sunglasses:

Only ever been on it once & never again. I wasn’t the driver, daughter was & even she hated that road & she loves driving. What you said is spot on, Ted.

I refuse to drive on motorways, traffic is too fast for me and the first and only time I ever did it I was a nervous wreck.

I often had to use a stretch of that, including the M11. Horrible. Tried to avoid, where possible.

Same here. I avoid using motorways wherever possible.

What is it they call the M25? The world’s largest car park? Something like that anyhow.

Looks like the traffic, on there, has changed a lot! :smiley:

I did read about the man who wanted to go up the M6. It was so busy he went up the M3 twice instead

1 Like

Groan.

Honestly this is the truth and it was many years ago .

My ex mother in law and her elderly brother went to visit her other son somewhere near the M25 . They were on this road for hours and hours because he didnt know where to turn off or how to get back to the SW .I know it was something like 10 hours . I dont know how they got off I have a feeling they found a fuelling stop and asked police to help. I was so concerned for him he must have been panicked , however they were supported by the police and shown how to get home

The M25? I’m just glad that I don’t live in London and never will.

The other really bad one is the M6 passing Birmingham, either going south-east or joining the M5. We usually use the M6 Toll to avoid the really bad traffic.

1 Like

The M25 is the worst road in England. If we ever had to go that way again I’d go cross country & we have, it will take longer, debatable perhaps, but it’s a much prettier ride.
My favourite motorway is the M5. Coming on to it from ‘up country’ you knew you were nearly home.

1 Like

I agree. We have used the M5 quite often when travelling down to Marge’s brother in Plymouth. Once you’re past and away from the Birmingham area, it becomes far more civilised as does the country in general.

1 Like

The M5 can get a bit congested around Bristol, but once past there it’s a very pleasant road, unless some dick head causes an accident that is, it has happened.

We’ve never been held up around Bristol other than occasionally near the M4 junction. Perhaps we’ve been lucky. Of course, there are dickheads everywhere.

1 Like

Cribbs Causway can be tricky.