Lost Fizzy Drinks

Tizer was my favourite as a kid

1 Like

It’s all bad news, artificial fizz, mountains of sugar, artificial sweeteners. Even beer from a can is artificial poison.

I gave up the booze a few weeks ago, I’m happy on tap water.

2 Likes

Wow d00d…
:astonished:
I only drink tea and water these days…Never really took to fizzy drinks and only drank beer to be one of the lads…Don’t have to worry these days because they’ve all passed on…

3 Likes

Some TV adverts made my wife wet herself - Smash was one and R Whites Lemonade was another:

She liked it in her whiskey … :tumbler_glass:

As a child I preferred Dandelion and Burdock, as a teenager I switched to Coca-Cola until I discovered beer … :beer:

2 Likes

Ross McManus wrote and sang the advert’s song, with his son Declan McManus (later known as Elvis Costello) providing the backing vocals. An alternative, unaired version of the advert featured Costello and his father onstage, as the ‘Secret Lemonade Drinker’ fantasised about being a rock star.

wiki

2 Likes

I makes you wonder what’s in the water!

2 Likes

Interesting … :nerd_face:

Additionally:

In 1973, the ‘Secret Lemonade Drinker’ advertising campaign was launched by London agency Allen, Brady and Marsh and devised by Rod Allen, who wrote the slogan. The adverts featured actor Julian Chagrin in pyjamas creeping downstairs to raid the fridge for R. Whites Lemonade, only to be caught by his wife, played by Harriet Philpin. Ross McManus wrote and sang the advert’s song, with his son Declan McManus (later known as Elvis Costello) providing the backing vocals. An alternative, unaired version of the advert featured Costello and his father onstage, as the ‘Secret Lemonade Drinker’ fantasised about being a rock star.

The commercials were the brand’s best known advertising campaign, and continued to air until 1984 and won a silver award at the 1974 International Advertising Festival. There was also a version of the commercial in 1985 featuring John Otway (1) as the secret lemonade drinker in a phone box.

The secret lemonade drinker was reintroduced in 1993, starring actor & comedian Julian Dutton as the eponymous Secret Lemonade Drinker, and various celebrities have featured in the commercials including comedians Ronnie Corbett and Frankie Howerd, actor Nicholas Parsons, tennis player John McEnroe and footballers turned pundits Ian St John and Jimmy Greaves. One version dubbed the advert entirely in Japanese; another version had another sultry woman appear randomly to kiss Dutton (before he is rejoined by a lookalike of Harriet Philpin), while yet another featured the animation of Mr Benn. In 2000, “Secret Lemonade Drinker” was ranked seventh in Channel 4’s poll of “The 100 Greatest TV Ads”. Julian Chagrin and Harriet Philpin returned in 2012 to advertise R White’s Lemonade Lollies.

Quite a history … :thinking:

(1) Terrible … :-1:

3 Likes

This stuff!

th-1804853595

It had a thick almost viscous consistency to it. th-458274850

I’m loathe to say it but the green Cresta had an almost phlegm like thing about it.
But we were young and as ever I’ve got a bit of a thing about the 70’s … happy days!:+1:

2 Likes

3 Likes

As a kid cream of soda was my favourite fizz

1 Like

I never drink water, fish do unspeakable things in it.

1 Like

Mine too used to get 3d on the returned bottles

1 Like

Still is mine. Talking of dandelion and burdock, I bought a big bottle of diet one recently. Can’t fit it in the fridge so have to pour some in a smaller bottle to chill.

1 Like

Anyone else have the ‘Lemonade Man’ in his van coming round where you could buy a vast range of fizzy drinks.

3 Likes

Yeah…we had a couple.
Lorries rather than vans.
One sold Corona drinks and I think the other was Alpine.
Although I could have that wrong.
Loved Dandelion and Burdock.
Now I never touch a fizzy drink.

1 Like

First on the scene (1890-1990 (as a company))

Later (in the 1970’s, I think, and didn’t last as long)

2 Likes

Yep,.

1 Like

This reminds me. I haven’t had a root beer in a long time. Root beer floats. :yum:

2 Likes

We used to go in a sarsaparilla bar,(it had a jukebox too).I’ve never had root beer but someone told me the taste was similar.

2 Likes