Long lasting electronic device

Drying my hair this morning it occurred to me that I have the hair dryer for at least 25 years and it is still as good as when I first got it.
Anyone else got something used often but you’ve had for years?

Edit: What a faff creating a new thread on a mobile device.

1 Like

I wonder if your mobile device will last as long as your hairdryer? :joy:

No, I haven’t owned anything that has lasted for years - certainly nothing electrical. They just don’t make things like they used to - in fact I’m quite convinced somethings are only supposed to have a short lifespan so you go any buy another one.

Planned obsolescence is often used to tempt the customer to purchase again. Cars, computers, and software are good examples of products with built-in obsolescence.
I have just replaced my washing machne after a few years use, it would probably have cost the same as a new one to repair.
So much stuff is virtually impossible to repair as accessing the insides is made difficult by the use of glues etc.

1 Like

I’m sure someone started a kind of community movement (either online or real life) where they made a point of actually fighting for the right to repair your own stuff. I can see it gaining traction nowadays, in light of recent events. Not everyone will be able to afford to replace things now so repairing is the way to go. (Of course, being made well in the first place, does help!)

You asked the above and I think the answer to this is the device would last but the battery would not as you cannot recharge the battery for ever. Now it is possible to replace a battery I have done it on an older tablet I had but it is certainly not a simple and straightforward process.

That’s interesting…I didn’t know you could do it on a tablet at all. :thinking: I have done it on a laptop, but nothing smaller. And I doubt I’ll be trying either! :smiley:

All you need are. :smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley:

1 Like

My goodness…Amazon to the rescue once again! :joy: I could have done with this kit last year to fix my camera! Who would have thought such a toolkit existed!

Google. :smiley::smiley:
But it is a very usefull bit of kit for all sorts of fiddly jobs.

2 Likes

It has found its way into my basket, thanks for that! :+1:

2 Likes

I await your thread begging for help putting something back together agan. :smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley:

1 Like

Cheeky beggar! :joy: I’ll have you know I’m a great fixer upper…the key is to take photos as you dismantle, and also lay things out in the order you remove them. See! We ladies aren’t just shiny fingernails and fluttering eyelashes y’know :smiley:

Speaking from personal experience my late good Lady decided to change the plug on the deep fat fryer but wiring the live to the earth pin and guess who was the first to use it afterwards?

As for fluttering eyelashes and painted nails these attibutes have never consumed me as I have more baser tastes. :smiley::smiley::smiley:

1 Like

Gosh, bet that put some sparkle in your dinner! :astonished:

1 Like

25 years? virtually brand new!

My Westinghouse 210 litre chest freezer is over 41 years old and still working

2 Likes

Good brand though Westinghouse, my hair tryer I have just found out is made by Treseme not renown as far as I know for electrical goods. :grinning:

I have lots of old valve radio equipment that I still use. Nothing too old though, old WD (War Department, or WW2) equipment being the oldest.

A Casio pocket calculator with clock, timer and alarm functions that is 43 years old.

1 Like

Actually I forgotten about that, I still have one I bought when I started with the Electricity Commission in 1979 so same age, still works (I just checked) but I wouldn’t use it from one decade to the next, my phone does that job now

1 Like

I’ve done a lot of power electronics some still going around 1990 but that’s industrial stuff.