Liz Truss - Prime Minister

After my initial thought about cemetaries, I re-evaluated and thought she meant “get stuck into work”.

But now, having read the transcript and noticing it was spoken within a slightly more detailed list of policies,I wonder if it’s referring to something less metaphorical and perhaps alludes to digging for fuel (coal, oil, sea gas or fracking) which IIRC is part of her plans anyway. Trouble is any additional oil or gas we produce is tied into international markets and we wouldn’t benefit greatly from it in terms of home grown energy production.

Hopefully not a deviation from topic @Omah …Truss’s words are important as they’re the first official ones with her in post, and they need analysing.

Oh no that hateful Mog is back as business secretary

2 Likes

I haven’t heard anybody say a good word about her, but surely, we should be judging her on her actions rather than what she says in her first speech as PM.
She wouldn’t have been my first choice, but I don’t know her so can’t judge her abilities! I just think we are all too ready to criticise and maybe we should learn that nobody could have sorted all the financial problems we all face, so maybe we should give her a chance!
We will be borrowing billions of pounds & the last time that happened It took many years of trying to reduce that debt, which I believe was caused by the Labour party.
Times are hard so maybe we should all be economising on fuels and food… that is what our parents had to do in the past !

It’s all very well for comfortably off to perhaps drop the heating down by a degree and perhaps one less takeaway a week
However large swathes of the population are on the bones of their bum , there’s nothing left in the pot to economise on.
Yes I completely agree give Truss a chance

1 Like

Well, they haven’t managed to clear that debt very well during their time in office:

In fact, they than doubled it pre covid.

Lots more interesting data here…

1 Like

Back to topic.

Obviously time will tell, but Truss’s political trend is a tad worrying. Brought up in a left wing household, then lib dem at Uni, then Tory, now right wing Tory. This doesn’t bode well at all…with power comes responsibility (as the Spider-Man saying goes). But in this case, with power it appears that greed and more extreme views seems to be coming forth.

I wasn’t suggesting that Labour were the only party that caused the debt, all parties borrow money, but as long as our population increases & our incomes don’t there will be no way to reduce the debt so things like health services will suffer.
The first case of covid was in Jan 2020, so the latest increase could be laid at Covid’s door.

1 Like

She sounds OK with me. But I think the Tories made a mistake in not pushing Ben Wallace into putting himself forward. Liz’ criticism from other MPs (especially the little known ones in Oxford City) is a bit much as they are not experienced in politics. They do not know what they are talking about. Love the tee-shirt ‘I have never kissed a Tory’. Trouble is there is a bit missing to complete the sentence ‘but snogged all the Corbinites’

Lay the groundwork.