Liz Truss paid £15,770 an hour for second jobs - as outside earnings of UK MPs revealed

MPs with second jobs have an average wage of £233 per hour, Sky News can reveal.

The typical rate for MPs is 17 times the national average - and over 22 higher than the minimum hourly wage.

The highest hourly rate for a current MP goes to Liz Truss, who got £15,770 per hour.

Ms Truss’s most lucrative work since leaving Number 10 has been a speech in Taiwan. She was paid at a rate of £20,000 per hour - nearly 1,500 times the UK average hourly wage - for her insights into global diplomacy.

Even higher than Ms Truss is Boris Johnson, who resigned as an MP last month. His hourly rate comes in at £21,822, but having left parliament, he is free to work without having to publicly record his earnings.

The leaderboard of the MPs with the 20 highest hourly rates in this parliament reveals a clear pattern: 18 have government experience, suggesting a ministerial background is valued by some employers.

Here’s me thinking that Liz Truss is a mug when, apparently, it’s the people who are prepared to pay thousands of pounds to listen to her talking about her “government experience” who are the real mugs - Truss is well on the way to £1,000,000 … :roll_eyes:

Yeh but, they only actually work one hour per annum. :grin:

Actually, 12:

The electorate are the real mugs for voting them into a position where such high secondary hourly rates can be commanded. Nice money for those who can get it and I know I would be the same if I were in that position; I’d be a mug not to :+1::grin:

Mostly the Tory electorate - 19 of the top 20 “top-raters” are Conservative MPs:

Bloody hell, how big is the trough?

1 Like

Lammy and Rayner did ok with their second jobs on LBC Radio.

I don’t mind them having other jobs, if people are dim enough to want to pay them that much, what they do with their own time is up to them, it’s like a freak show really, “look at the greedy git”

What I mind is them not doing the job we pay them for, the job that gains them the fame and notoriety and influence that gains them

So, I think attending Parliament should be compulsory, what’s with all those empty benches?

And spending time in their constituencies should be also compulsory

And they should have to log their time, at least 40 hours a week, explaining what they’ve done with it

And that log should be available to the public and their constituents, who are their employers, to view and query. Along with their expenses

That’s what happen to us plebs and peasants in our job, isn’t it?

And it’s big time they did away with those lengthy recesses at summer and recesses And they shouldn’t be allowed to take holidays at other time

Regular civil servants at the coal face that the Rabid Right are so keen to criticise, get 30 days leave that includes the Bank Holidays

Why should MPs, who are really just civil servants themselves, get over three times that much?

They claim they do work in their constituencies in the Recesses. Some do, some don’t, but they aren’t under any obligation to do so and how they spend that time isn’t transparent.

If they want to they can just sit around on their ass for 15 weeks of the year, and I suspect ours does, we never see him

If they were answerable for putting in the hours they are paid for, they wouldn’t have time to do all these second, third and fourth snout in trough jobs

1 Like

Good gig

1 Like

More, more:

Another:

The incomparably incompetent Truss … :rofl:

1 Like

If politicians were prevented from doing a second job we would end up with career politicians who have never had any other industry experience.

Truss was right about everything by the way @Omah. If we had followed her plans our economy would be leading the world by now. Prove me wrong.